chap 7

After several hours, Giyuu's eyes fluttered open. The room was dimly lit, and the first thing he saw was Sanemi, slumped beside his bed, asleep but with a pained expression etched onto his face. Giyuu's heart ached at the sight; he reached out and gently shook Sanemi's shoulder.

Sanemi groaned, opening one eye groggily before suddenly springing awake.

"Giyuu dear! ,Are you okay? I'm so sorry" he blurted out, his words tumbling over each other in his rush to express his concern and remorse.

Giyuu was taken aback by Sanemi's immediate worry, a small smile forming on his lips. He patted Sanemi's head, causing the emperor to momentarily snap out of his panic. Giyuu began to sign with his hands, his movements deliberate and calm.

'I'm okay. It's okay. But please, don't do that again,' Giyuu conveyed, his expression gentle but firm.

Sanemi nodded vigorously, his eyes filled with a mix of relief and lingering guilt. He leaned forward, wrapping his arms around Giyuu and burying his head into the crook of Giyuu's neck. "I still feel a bit guilty, though," Sanemi admitted, his voice muffled.

Giyuu patted Sanemi's back reassuringly, trying to convey his forgiveness through his touch. He continued to hold Sanemi, offering silent comfort and understanding.

Sanemi pulled back slightly, meeting Giyuu's eyes. "I just wanted to protect you" he said softly, his voice heavy with emotion.

Giyuu nodded, understanding Sanemi's intentions. He signed again, 'I know. And I appreciate it. But your presence and support mean more to me than anything else.'

Sanemi sighed, feeling the weight of his guilt slowly lifting. He knew he still had much to learn about caring for Giyuu, but he was determined to do better, to be the partner Giyuu deserved.

...

A few days later, Giyuu sat beside Sanemi, watching him work through the never-ending stack of documents and reports. Giyuu's eyes grew heavy with each passing moment, and despite his best efforts to stay awake, his body began to slump beside Sanemi.

Sanemi glanced over just in time to see Giyuu leaning against him, fast asleep. A soft chuckle escaped his lips as he gently adjusted Giyuu to a more comfortable position.

"I guessed right" Sanemi thought, a fond smile playing on his lips. He had told Giyuu earlier to go to bed without him, knowing he'd likely finish late, but Giyuu had insisted on staying.

Sanemi carefully wrapped an arm around Giyuu, pulling him closer so that his head rested on Sanemi's shoulder. He continued to work, feeling a comforting warmth from Giyuu's presence.

As the night wore on, Sanemi's thoughts wandered. He reflected on how far they had come, from the initial awkwardness of their arranged marriage to the deep bond they now shared. Despite the challenges and misunderstandings, they had found a way to support and care for each other.

Eventually, Sanemi finished his work and set the last document aside. He looked down at Giyuu, who was still peacefully asleep, and gently brushed a strand of hair from his face. Sanemi carefully stood, lifting Giyuu in his arms, and carried him to their bed. He laid Giyuu down and covered him with a blanket before slipping in beside him.

As Sanemi lay there, watching the rise and fall of Giyuu's chest, he felt a profound sense of contentment. Despite the burdens of his role as emperor, having Giyuu by his side made everything more bearable.