Chapter 6

Lynn woke up and went to the hall where her new comrades were present last night. When the door to the hall opened, she was surprised. She was standing on the top floor and there was a wooden staircase leading to the ground floor. In the front, holding onto the handrails, was Sara. She was looking with focus on the ground floor. 

On the ground floor, Adam and Charles were playing a game that looked like chess on a huge granite table. However, on the board, there were only big pawns with wooden faces, one of which looked like a person Lynn had seen in the city yesterday. 

Lynn went ahead and stood next to Sara. 

"Oh, you're up early?" Sara asked turning to face Lynn, to which Lynn nodded. "You look cute in this dress. From now on, you don't have to wear your ragged clothes anymore. You are one of us."

Lynn looked at her dress, not knowing what to say. If she was blind like before, she would not have bothered how she appeared in front of people. But now, everything is different.

Lynn looked at Sara and the others. They still looked miles better than her. They had good hair, adequate weight, everything, while for Lynn, her hair was rough and only had little hair where her scalp was mildly visible, her bones were noticeable and even when she wore loose clothes, she looked thinner than Sara. Lynn looked back at Sara.

"Aren't you curious about the game called Crown which Adam and Charles are playing right now?" Sara asked to which Lynn turned her attention. "The Crown is played every day now, so you must watch to play well when your chance arrives so there will be less stress when you lose the game since this is not like other games. Oh, and another important point, you must not tell anyone about this game since this game should only be known to the Dragon and the seven of us," Sara said and Lynn nodded.

"So the game called the Crown began once the seventh life of Charles ended. He was the second one whose seventh life ended after me. It was the Dragon who showed us how to play the game. It is very stressful because the pawns that die in the game die due to disease or other unfortunate events in the world of death to reincarnate in the world of the living. In other words, the players of this game decide the fate of when the people who die because of us are born. Life isn't always fair, so being born at the wrong time can destroy the lives of others. I was very stressed. The Dragon told us it would make us strong for the time we needed to fight, but I was not ready. Once others came, I was relieved since I did not have to play the game all the time,' Sara said. 

Compared to the low voice of Sara, Adam was talking loudly, at which Lynn could not help but notice. Adam was not looking at Charles and talking, but rather at the pawns on the board. Lynn looked closely at Adam and then back to Sara.

"Oh, you must be wondering who Adam is talking to. The pawns in the Crown talk through telepathy to the player whose side they are on, though it is only the personality of the person the pawn represents and not the real people. Adam can't control himself and talks loudly since he is always drunk," Sara spoke. "However, since True Friend is always allowed to be with Adam, most of the time he defeats others in the Crown no matter how much he speaks since True Friend knows how to keep secrets even from Adam until the point they win." 

It was Charles's turn to make a move. He had a ball in his hand and after thinking for some time, he threw the ball made out of magic at one of his pawns on the Crown board. The pawn moved and destroyed one of Adam's pawns. Adam covered his ears and drank True Friend.

Lynn felt disturbed seeing Adam. The moment she gained sight, her world expanded tenfold. Now, whatever she felt got more depth. Seeing Adam try to cope with his responsibility stressed her. She did not know what, but she was grateful to True Friend for helping Adam deal with his loss and being there whenever Adam needed True Friend.

Lynn watched the game closely with Sara so she could learn. After an hour, Adam won the game. Adam did not look happy that he won the game. He drank True Friend a lot after his win. 

"Adam always likes to finish the game fast so there was less pain for the pawns but Charles played differently since all he looked for was to win the game. I guess even though Adam is comforted by True Friend, sadness is sadness."

Charles did not speak much after his loss and left the room. Adam noticed Sara and Lynn and went towards them.

 Adam noticed Sara and Lynn and went towards them