15, midsummers

❝ooh, i care, i care, i carelike ribbons in your hairmy stomach's all in knotsyou got the one thing that i want❞

like ribbons in your hair
my stomach's all in knots
you got the one thing that i want❞

-lacy, olivia rodrigo

chapter fifteen, MIDSUMMERS

 The county club was transformed, the annual party taking precedence over any issue the cut faced. Leave it to the residents of Figure Eight to party the night away when half of the island had no power. It was almost comical how much electricity the party alone took up.

Talia Anderson and her classmates alike were dressed to the nines. Kiara Carrera seemed the only one disgusted by her appearance and outfit she wore. In her perfect world, she wouldn't have been forced to the event.

She and Talia split early on when she decided to abandon her kook responsibilities to instead entertain Pope whose father was catering. The boy was adorned in a clear worker's uniform, to set him apart from the partygoers.

"There you are, what took you so long to get here?" Laurel Anderson's voice was telling. Talia knew the drill. It was disguising enough to fool anybody listening in but the anger seeped through.

"At Kiara's, her mom wanted to fix our hair" It wasn't a lie, she knew to tread her words carefully.

"I'm starting to question if it's best for you to be spending so much time with Kiara, I mean does the girl not know how embarrassing it must be for her parents to have her socialize with the help?" The offhanded rude comment made Talia look at her feet. What could she say? She wouldn't dare talk back at such a public event.

"Laurel" Another guest called after the woman and she shared a stern look with her daughter.

"Have fun" The tone made Talia want to sink into her own skin. She found her eyes wandering back to Kiara and Pope. Her mother would crucify her if she caught her over there, especially tonight.

Talia wasn't alone for long, the absent spot next to her soon filled by a tall brunette kook, a smirk placed so delicately on his face. "okay if I say this was worth the wait does that make you think I only have one line?" Talia turned with a scoff, playfully rolling her eyes at the boy.

"yes, yes it does" She answered and Matteo's smirk turned completely into a toothy grin, a small laugh leaving his parted lips.

"Well, I'm just gonna have to work on that then, aren't I?" Matteo finally passed the girl one of the drinks in his hands, the champagne glass full and cold.

"you'll need a lot of work, but thank you" She smiled before accepting the drink and taking a long sip from the glass. She had still yet to get used to the taste.

"to midsummers" He held up his glass, clinking the edges of hers. The ping of the two hitting filled the air between them. Smiles rested gently on each of their lips, the faces lighting up as they spoke. This was where she was meant to be. A kook with a kook. Something easy.