Chapter Two: Akomish

The cold waters rushing up against the earth, the yellow sun beaming upon me, and a cold metal spray can that lays in the palm of my hand. This stuff was the only thing I needed to feel like home.

My sneakers scuff the concrete roof of some worm down fish cannery located on the east coastside. The aerosol paint sprays on the billboard in front of me. The picture that lies is of my brother, Reggie Rowe. A cop. As the ball riddles in the airsoft can, the sound of sirens were heard.

"Hey, if art is a crime then." I was cut off when the sirens became louder. "Shit!" I curse under my breath as I duck down. "Think, think." I say. "Party at the longhouse. Gotta get there, mingle, set up an alibi." I whisper as I go through my own plan. "I'm a goddam criminal mastermind." I say with a slight laugh and a large smirk forming upon my lips.

That's when I jump down a hatch and into the main building. "Alright, this should work." I say as I begin to scan the area. That's when I tripped on a can of beans that soon rolled across the floor and to a set of doors that eventually opened. "Genius." I say as I bite my lip in anger.

This building was owned by my people, the Akomish Tribe. The owner being a family friend of mine.

"Who's out there!?" An old woman yells as she holds a green stapler in front of her.

"It's alright. It's just me, Betty." I say as I let out a sigh of relief. "Would you put the stapler down, seriously." I plead as I try and think of an excuse.

"What are you doing here? Why aren't you at the big-to-do at the Longhouse?" She asks.

"Um." I say as I'm still empty handed on what to say to her. "I just didn't feel all that Akomish tonight, Betty." I say as I pull her aside. "But, you look amazing ." I say as i give her my handsome smile.

"What were you doing up on the roof, uh?" She asks while pulling my arm to face her.

"Nothing, just uh." I say as I feel my cheeks heat up.

"We're you up to mischief?" She asks tiredly.

"Hello! We know you're there." A cop says while banging on the front door. "So, just come on out! Or I will call Betty and she will be here in 5 minutes with the keys." The cop yells. That's when I felt my stomach churn. I loved the feeling of running but, not when I get caught by Betty in the posses.

"Look, I have no choice. He's a cop. Look, i have to be back her in 5 minutes. And if your still here." Betty says while pushing me away, basically signaling me to leave. "I never saw you."

"Thanks Betty." I say with a bit of remorse and embarrassment. She was like a mother figure to me. Taking care of me when others didn't, especially when my father died in the field. Of course Reggie took his line of work. Making me feel like shit for being who I wanna be.

"This is the last time!" She says while walking out the door. I mumble the same words once she leaves.

"Open the door." The man says. It was a different voice, it was my brother.

"I can't believe he has nothing better to do." I say to myself. As I peak out the front door, the blurred figures of men and cop cars are seen outside. "I gotta find another way." I say to myself.

As I run around for a second, looking at my surroundings. The banners and boxes, tables, and food stored away. Betty was always this thankful. She liked giving to others, especially to the younge and elderly.

That's when I see an green florescent exit sign. "Gotcha." I whisper as I run out the door and is face to face with the Longhouse that is about mile out. I tug on my red bennie and jump as I run to beat the cops to the location and start setting up my alibi.