Chapter Twelve: Power Addict

"Alright Reg. I hate to ask, but do any of your besties in blue know anything about these Core Replays?" I ask.

"What? So you can keep tapping into them for more powers? No. Forget it." Reg replies. He was really getting on my nerves about this Conduit shit.

"Wow. My own brother wants me to fight the ultra-mega-bio-terrorist of all time with less powers." I mock.

"Look, I didn't say that." Reggie gaslights.

"Well, I guess I shouldn't put it off then. Better march my way straight to Augustine now and get it over with. Not sure how what's gonna happen." I say.

"Alright, alright! I get it. Look, just stay away from Augustine and I'll send you the ones I know of." He gives in.

"Thanks Reg, you're the best brother ever." I say before hanging up the phone.

My eye catches a drone. I immediately shoot it down with my fire powers and suck the life out of it. I don't know what it was about these things. But, I felt more powerful than ever. "That hit the spot."

Now, i think that since I have the time I should explore more of these powers I have. Hank didn't really leave a handbook behind before he died so.

~

Once I got to a secluded enough space I started practicing.

Smoke in casing my hands and arms as I shoot fire balls, nukes, and even hovering over the ground.

About a couple hours later, vibrating comes from my pocket as I see Reggie's contact name.

"Was that you?" Reg asks alarmingly.

"What was what?" I ask nervously as I look around.

"Those booms?" He asks.

"I don't know what your talking about." I reply sheeply.

"Whatever. I got a location, sending you it now." He replies with suspicion. With that a ping gets sent to my cellular device.

~

"Reg, you should see this, man. The D.U.P.'s completely trashed this city. All the people are walking hunched over and nervous looking." I say as I peak over the roof top of a building nearby. The D.U.P.'s have made heavily armored camps all over Seattle. They were for real about this war.

"Well, that's how martial law works. You control the city and the people by breaking them both down first." Reggie replies.

"Yeah. Well, occupying armies suck." I whisper. And with that I sneak my way to another Core Replay. This one was placed on a rooftop.

"This one's sealed pretty tight. Luckily I just so happen to have some mad new breaking skill."

But as a fire ball hits the hard metal, the Replay blows up in my face. A blue substance crawling up my arm. Making me freak as I pat myself down. I felt it burning me up from the inside.

As my palm covers the wound, I soon felt better. With that I take my hand off to find it was healed. Leaving a large blue scar up my arm.

"What is this shit, acid?" I ask myself. "Badass." I scoff.

Comet drop. All I have to do is be airborne as I drop in on some D.U.P's heads.

~

As my soles scuffed the roadway I make my way out of sight. Hiding in the shadows till I can find another Core Replay. I couldn't help but feel like I was being watched. I guess that's what it feels like being a Conduit in a city full of D.U.P.'s that want to kill you.