𝖏𝖚𝖘𝖙 𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖍𝖊𝖆𝖛𝖊𝖓

June came and went. The shock and sting of early summer slowly faded away, and the Byers family thought it would be good for everyone to gather for a barbecue. Hopper had patched up the cabin and the front yard was plenty big enough to host them all. Eleven helped create invitations, eager to use her new craft scissors and glitter pens.

Her and Hop made a trip to Bradley's Big Buy for groceries, and Eleven made sure to keep her head down (although her distinguishable buzzcut had grown into short brown curls). Her dad hauled around a couple of wrapped pork loins, and El trailed behind with a big watermelon. Hop went to throw down a pack of cigarettes at the checkout, but El smacked it from his hands, resisting the urge to just do it with her mind.

"Those aren't good for you, Hopper. And they stink!" She reasoned.

Instead, she grabbed a pack of pink bubblegum, earning her a scowl from Hop.

"Ouch. Next time I'll just come by myself." He threatened, raising an eyebrow.

She nudged him with her elbow as they exited through the new set of sliding doors, finally getting him to crack a smile.

~

Max fidgeted with the hem of her new shirt as she waited on the couch. Sunlight streamed through the living room windows, yellows and oranges filling her senses.

Finally, the doorbell rang a couple times. Max carefully got up to open it, her left arm against the wall for support.

She recognized the hair before she saw his face.

"Steve." Max stated.

"One and only," he responded with jazz hands and a charming smile.

She turned around to slip on her flip flops, and Steve offered his hand to steady her (she wouldn't be caught dead taking it - but that was before what happened).

After some routine banter and jamming to The Bangles, they pulled into the Henderson's driveway. Dustin must've been watching for them, because he ran down the front steps and straight towards the passenger side door. He paused abruptly however, seeing Max looking up at him with her tongue stuck out.

"Oh very mature, Maxine." Steve scolded.

She smacked him on the arm, and Dustin huffed and pouted as he climbed into the backseat.

"Wow. Wow!" Steve exclaimed. "And they thought I was kidding about the whole babysitting thing!"

~

The three bounced up Hopper's long and gravely driveway, Steve skidding to a stop as Dustin tumbled out the backdoor towards Lucas. Eleven left Mike's side and wrapped Max in a hug, who was struggling to get half-way out of the car.

"Max! Thanks for coming to my party! We bought a bunch of food." El let go and wiggled her eyebrows, something Max had taught her last week.

Lucas beamed as he watched patiently behind. Then taking Max's hand in his, they found themselves some seats by the growing fire. He gestured towards a lawn chair for Max. She scrunched up her nose but sat down anyways.

Joyce was in the next chair over, with Will sitting quietly on the other side. Max offered him a small wave, which he returned, before looking back to the fire.

"Oh hi, Max! How've you been honey?" Joyce asked warmly.

"Uh, I've been doing pretty good. Still a long way to go, but the pain isn't so bad anymore." She gave a soft smile, knowing what she said was true in more ways than one.

Joyce looked her right in the eye. "Oh honey, I'm so relieved to hear that. We're so glad to see you tonight." She knew what Joyce really meant by that, and Max looked down, not able to keep her gaze.