Chapter 1

"What the hell did you do?"

It was the last day of the victory banquet. Sharp words rained down on Olivia without filtering.

Facing me, my father, the Duke of Madeleine, said coldly that he would freeze everything.

"Because you whispered something, Grand Duke Vikander proposes to you, the fiancée of the Crown Prince."

Contempt was reflected in the amethyst eyes that looked down at me.

"Only one. Is it so messed up that you can't keep even one thing about becoming the Crown Princess without any noise?"

Just like it always has been. It was then that I, who had been silently listening to sharp criticism as usual, burst into laughter.

He raised his eyebrows as if the Duke was displeased, but I couldn't stop laughing. Oh my God.

'How can you completely put an end to my lingering feelings like this?'

The Duke will never know.

How did I feel when I followed the Duke in the banquet hall? At this moment, what was my expectation that was shattered miserably

"Can't you answer right away?"

"If I tell you, will you believe me now?"

"What?"

A sharp gaze stared piercingly at me. I always endured that gaze. Someday, someday, those eyes will look at me kindly, they will admit that I am also my father's daughter, I never doubted.

There was a time when I was happy just to see the Duke's silver hair, which was the same color as my own, and to share the characteristics of the Duke of Madeleine.

Not anymore. My efforts have ended here. At my best, I smiled sweetly.

"Then I will tell you. I never whispered to Her Highness to ask for her hand in marriage, and even after hanging around for several years, he ignored me as his fiancée and stayed friendly with Lady Ethel."

"That mouth, shut up!"

"The person who brought me to the mansion and sent me as His Highness' fiancee instead of Ethella is the Duke himself, who is standing in front of me."

"Shut up!"

A ferocious roar shook the night. The sound of the birds flying away was loud. Duke Madeleine glared at me as if he had lost his temper after all. His purple eyes flashed red as if a blood vessel had burst.

"It is because of you! You! If you... If you hadn't come to my house, nothing would have happened! You made me unhappy! It's all because of you!"

Each syllable was filled with bitter anger. The Duke let out a heavy breath. There was a time when I doubted myself whether it was really my fault or not because the hatred was so intense.

"Now and then."

"..."

"I really didn't do anything."

"..."

"I didn't make the Duke unhappy."

"Olivia Madeleine! You dare!"

I did not lower my head any longer, despite the Duke's anger. It was strange. The Duke, who had felt so great, was no longer frightened. It really seemed like it was time to end it.

"You said you wanted to erase me, right?"

"If I could, I would erase you from my life."

Even though it was a memory from a few days ago, the voice of the Duke who was talking like vomiting was clear. The words that made my heart feel like it was about to break out became numb in just a few days.