Chapter 47

Dedicated maid and escort driver. The conditions for inspecting the estate that Edwin had mentioned were met. From morning to sunny sky. It was the perfect day to go out to inspect the manor. But there was something else that was worrying me right now.

"Are you okay?"

I looked at myself in the mirror. A bright yellow dress and a wide-brimmed hat. When I inspected the estate at the Princess's command, I wore a dress I had never worn before.

It's a territory inspection. Still, I worried that weighty clothes might not be a good idea, so Bethany shook her head resolutely.

"For the official inspection, I will prepare an elegant and dignified dress. But today you have to check every nook and cranny of the estate, so it would be better to wear a dress that allows you to move around comfortably."

Bethany was right. This bright yellow dress was light and easy to move around. I could go as far as I want by getting on and off the carriage. As if to prove that she was the former Grand Duchess's dedicated maid, Bethany examined me carefully. She braided my thick hair and even did my makeup with her expert hands.

Then she took an antique jewelry box, opened it, and said,

"And this."

Hanging in the jewelry box was a white crystal necklace that I had never seen before. Every time the white crystal, as small as a fingernail, was shaken, the transparent gem seemed to glow green at first glance.

It didn't seem to be any ordinary white crystal, but before I could see it again, Bethany had placed hthe the necklace around my neck. My eyes widened as soon as the platinum chain was placed around my neck.

"Bethenny, did you cast a spell on me?"

Even the wind that felt a little chilly was cool. My whole body felt warm. Bethany shook her head.

"It's because of that necklace. It's a magic stone."

"A magic stone?"

Even when I was living as a Princess, I could count on one hand the number of times I saw magic stones. I wear this precious item, of which I have very little reserve, as a necklace.

Bethany's eyes became faint as I was embarrassed.

"It is an item belonging to the previous Grand Duchess."

"Is it okay for me to do something that is so precious?"

When I was surprised, Bethany smiled warmly and shook her head.

"No. Anyway, even if the previous Grand Duchess had been around, she would have given it as a gift to the Young Lady. When Her Highness the Grand Duchess first came to Vikander, she had a hard time adjusting to this cold land. Now you have to get used to living here."

As Bethany talked about my future here as if it were obvious, I played with the necklace in silence. The little gem was solid against my fingertips. Just like the firm faith shown by Bethany.

Bethany said, smiling brightly at me.

"Now then, shall we go inspect the manor?"

***

Two carriages with the emblem of the Grand Duchy, and five escort knights. It was a bit simple for an inspection of a manor, but I actually liked the composition.

"If there are a small number of people. we can visit the restaurant without difficulty Do you remember the place I told you about when we arrived?"

I remembered Edwin's excited voice I heard last night. As the corners of my mouth rose, Edwin, sitting right in front of me, grinned.