prologue

September, 2003

Abby looked at her reflection in her full-body mirror.

"a plain black jumpsuit would be just fine." her moms advice played through her head.

"this is good." Abby said to herself, "yeah, this is great." as she turned around she was faced with the mess she had made looking for an outfit.
"oh." she sighed, before glancing at the clock on her nightstand.

6:35 am.

her new job was a 15 minute drive from her apartment, and if she left now she would be early.

so, she slipped on her shoes and grabbed her purse, and made her way out to her car. a quick elevator ride, and walk to the parking garage, and she was pulling out of her parking spot.

once she pulled into a parking spot, and parked her car, she looked in her rear view mirror. "i've got this." she told herself, before taking a few deep breaths.

another glance at her clock.

6:52 am.

she grabbed her purse out of the passenger seat, and then climbed out of the car. as she walked to the front doors, she dug her card out of her purse. after swiping her card, she made her way through the front doors.

this was it.

she was officially an agent.

an FBI agent.

after riding the elevator up, she was greeted with the glass doors of the Behavioral Analysis Unit.

she pushed the doors open, and made her way into the bullpen. a smile was plastered on her face as she walked towards her new bosses office.

Aaron Hotchner.

the name plate next to the door read. her knuckles banged on the door, and a few seconds later she heard a faint, "come in."

she pushed the door open, and smiled towards the man. "hi, Aaron." she grinned, as she shut the door behind her. "it's Hotchner now." he corrected, as he stood up.

"right, Agent Hotchner." she nodded, placing her bag down on one of the chairs in front of his desk. "Agent Heartwell." he said, trying to hold back a smile, but failing.

Abby never really saw him smile.

she walked over to him, and he wrapped an arm around her. "you ready?" he asked, as the girl took a deep breath. "i think so." she nodded, pulling away and looking up at him, "i'm nervous."

"it's okay to be nervous." he replied. "so, when do i get to meet the team?" Abby questioned, "cause that's what i'm nervous about."

"well..." Hotch started, glancing down at his watch, "i'm just waiting on one more new hire." "wait, there's someone else besides me?" Abby furrowed her brow. "yes." Aaron responded.

"Agent Nazario met him yesterday, and then immediately put in for a transfer." "why would he do that?" Abby pried. "you'll see when you meet him. he should be here any minute now." Hotch replied, glancing out his office window.

as if right on queue, there was a knock on the door. "come in." Aaron said, and the door slowly opened.

in the doorway stood a tall, lanky man. his hair pushed back behind his ears. his brown eyes looking the same way Abby's blue eyes did when she walked through the door.

bright, and excited.

he wore a purple sweater, with a white collared shirt underneath. tan pants, and black Converse. he also had a messenger bag thrown over his shoulder.