two

MINIMAL LOSS
04x03

as they drove through the farm lands of Colorado, Abby's stomach churned. she did not have a good feeling about this case they were on their way too. the anxiety festering itself in the pit of her stomach, making her feel sick.

but, it was for the safety of children.

she had to push through.

Abby stared out the car window, taking a few deep breaths and digging her nails into the palm of her hands, which Spencer, who was sitting next to her, immediately noticed.

"hey, you okay?" he asked quietly, as to not let the woman from child protection services hear them. "yeah, i'm fine." Abby nodded, not bothering to turn and look at him.

"no, you're not." Spencer shook his head, and Abby slowly turned to look at him. "yeah, i am." she tried to laugh. "Abby, we've been friends for a long time, i know when you're not okay. let me see your hands." Spencer told the blonde.

"it's fine, Spencer, really." Abby said, but Spencer gently grabbed one of Abby's hands and opened it to see the skin that she broke with her nails dripping a little bit of blood.

"Abby." he sighed, before digging in his messenger bag for the handkerchief he always carried, "i thought we talked about this." "i know, it's just, i have a bad feeling about this." Abby replied, as Spencer took her other hand in his, and dapped the blood off.

Abby had always been an anxious person. from a young age, she knew her mom had a dangerous job, so that is when her anxiety started. as she got older, and her mom moved out of the field, it got immensely better. but, once she started working for the BAU, it came back.

when they worked the Tobias Hankle case, Abby and Spencer were grouped together while searching the Hankle property. during that search they were separated, and Spencer was kidnapped by Tobias Hankle.

when all of this happened and Abby found out about Spencer addiction to Dilaudid, which was the narcotic that Hankle drugged him with multiple times while having him hostage, Abby blamed herself.

that was when Abby started developing scars on the palms of her hands in the shape of little crescent moons.

Spencer had seen them one day, and made Abby sit down and tell him everything, and the worst part was she didn't even realize she was hurting herself until it started bleeding and she had to rush off to the closest bathroom to clean it up.

"tell us about the 911 call." Spencer said, letting go of Abby's now blood-free hands, and shoving the handkerchief back into his bag.

"i believe the 'he' that they referred to is the church's leader, Benjamin Cyrus." the CPS woman driving the car explained. "Benjamin Cyrus." Reid mumbled, flipping through the pages of the file, "no criminal record. no record at all, really."

"what else do you know about him?" Abby questioned, looking over Spencer's shoulder at the file. "it's rumored that he's practicing polygamy and forced marriages." the woman responds.

"any idea who the caller is?" Abby asks, not seeing it in the file. "uh, Jessica Evanson is the one who the age fits, but... we can't be sure. so, i negotiated interviews with all the children. it wasn't easy." she lets Abby and Spencer know.