11: Where The Wind Takes Us

Xie Lian

I struggled to lift my head, exhausted, and squinted up at San Lang. "Morning.."

"Here, Gege. Eat." Cheng placed a gentle hand against my face, coaxing an apple to my mouth.

I sighed softly and shook my head. "Cheng, I'm far from hungry.."

"Eat." He ordered back -- it seemed I didn't have much choice.

Of course, I was hungry, but I never wanted to be such a burden to carry. It felt like my bad luck rubbed on him more. I took a bite and smiled a bit. "What are you planning today?"

"A little errand." Cheng tied the red string back on my finger, E-Ming glowed from the connection to it. "Any danger at all. Untie it. Don't hesitate."

"I'll be okay," I grabbed Cheng's hand as he helped me up. He stared at me for a few more moments, almost reconsidering his choice. "Are you sure?"

I smiled warmly and nodded, resting a hand on his arm. "Anything I can't handle, and I'll pull it."

"Good."

"Be careful."

Cheng chuckled and gave me the bag of apples -- opening the door. He looked over his shoulder, a mischievous glint in his eye. "I'm always careful." Before leaving me by myself.

I took another bite of the apple slice before staring at the painting. Sighing, I went to the kitchen, making sure to wash the cups and to put away the tray of empty cookies me and San Lang ate together.

I'd want to say it was almost peaceful, but some part of me felt something was wrong.

I closed up the bag before heading out the door -- maybe a more open environment will help me clear my head and my fever.

The air was crisp with the fresh atmosphere of wind and a cool breeze, which washed over my shoulders. The trees stood tall and firm, and leaves had fallen down like little rose petals against a gentle stream. It was enough to let me exhale a soft breath.

This was..nice.

"Xianle!"

I froze and took a look around -- there was nothing except a breeze. It seemed to get stronger..

"Xian! Le! Xianle!" The voice got stronger as I pushed through each step.

Before I knew, I plummeted into the ground -- landing on thin scaffolding. "Ah!" I covered my face as I fell through each nondurable wood, until I stopped.

I panted softly, pressing a thumb against my bruised and scratched up face. There was a sharp crack as I moved my body, barely able to support my body.

"Xianle!" My eyes widened as I looked up.

Shi Qingxuan stood in front of me, a huge smile on his face. "You heard me! Took you long enough!"

"Do I- know you?" The voice sounded so familar, I couldn't place the face to it.

He scoffed, crossing his arms as he held his fan in his right hand. "Stop being so coy! Don't you recognize me from the heavenly court?"