22: A Good Rest

Xie Lian

"We should stay here for the night," I glanced back at San Lang with a smile. "Rest up, and figure out a plan."

"Quick thinking." San Lang grinned more and laid back on the grass, his palms behind his head as he stared at the sky. "I have a few things I need before we should give into sleep. Berries, sugarcane, and nectar. I saw those nearby. If you could gather those, it would be greatly appreciated."

"Those..are very specific." I paused and thought.

Of what could he be using those for?

I'd moved a rather fair distance, gathering what he had requested. These ingredients weren't toxic, so it surely should be okay. Right?

I kneeled down and plucked some berries, when a loud crinkle faltered my movements. My eyes scanned the area. I felt as thought someone was watching me.

I better get to San Lang before it gets too dark.

💮ꕥ💮ꕥ💮ꕥ💮ꕥ💮

I'd arrived when the sun finally set -- San Lang closed his eye, his chest rising and falling with every breath. He was peaceful, and a burst of relief rushed to my stomach.

His body had moved a bit, his clothing had lifted a bit.

I'd always seen his skin whenever the front of his outfit opened to reveal his chest -- but somehow this moment felt different. More personal.

My eyes have wandered much farther than I anticipated.

I'd begun to think about his body. The curves of his abs, his toned chest, his enticing muscles, his warm tan skin. I'd thought about how San Lang would look without his clothes on. My mind wandered to places it had never gone before, and I felt a strange feeling growing inside me.

I shuffled in my spot before blinking a few times.

Oh, why was I thinking such sinful thoughts?!

A warmth rushed to my cheeks, I kneeled down and buried my face in my hands. I'd told windmaster we would never participate in such vile acts! It was like those thoughts were locked inside me and they'd just busted out in fantasies.

"Gege, you're back," He smiled a bit more and opened his eye. He softly relaxed his muscles and hoisted himself back up. He let out a deep exhale and tilted his head a bit. "Turn around, I have a surprise for you."

"What surprise?" I asked.

"Tsh," He clicked his tongue and chuckled. "That'd ruin the surprise if I told you. Turn."

I quickly turned my body, pressing my fingers against my cheeks to cool the rush of warmth. I'd never felt this way about someone before. But, in some twisted way, I felt as though I'd always felt this around him.

He'd always been so cold, and I've masked his behavior with kind words and reassurance.

He's just being kind today, I told myself. He's just looking out for me, I said-

Such a fool.

Why must it come in waves at this moment?