XX

・・・ ・・・ ・・・

・・・ ・・・ ・・・

     I'm extra thankful for my mark this morning.  It stretches across the top of my left shoulder and rings around my lower neck, and in turn, I've always kept a collar on my uniform jacket.  The bruises on my neck have certainly darkened, now a stark, deep purple, ringed in yellow.  I saw it in my mirror this morning.  The bandage over the dagger mark in my neck sticks out slightly above the edge of the collar, taking up room it doesn't have to give, making it choke against the back of my neck.  
     I slept in this morning and missed breakfast.  Apparenly, Violet did, too.  I don't think anyone can blame us, if they know.  Honestly, I don't know if they do.  Did Dain even know why she came into his room or did he think she did it just because she felt like?  Gods, I hope she didn't say anything to him.  I hope he didn't touch her.  
     I watch as Violet turns and walks straight toward me the moment she gets out into the courtyard.  Rhiannon bounces to follow her.  Noticing our gathering trio, Sawyer and Ridoc come over as well.  
     "How are you?  Are you okay?" Violet asks me quickly.  I smile and nod my head.  
     "Bruise on my ribs and neck, and small puncture mark, nothing serious," I report.  She nods her head.  
     "I got a pretty bad bruise on my back, too.  They got a slice down my thigh but it hardly drew blood."  I bounce my own at her statement.  "Thanks for waking me up.  I heard you yell down the hall."  
     "It doesn't seem like anyone else knows about it," Rhiannon tells me.  I look over and her eyes are swimming with concern.  Honestly, I'm surprised.  I never thought she minded me that much, but I remind myself she is a caring soul.  

     I look over as Dain nestles himself near us and instinctually take a step back.  
     "Vi told us five this morning," Ridoc fills in.  "But we didn't know what happened to you."  
     "Nothing much.  Oren Seifert and three others.  It was scary but I'm fine now and that's about all I could ask for."  Rhiannon pinches her expression together and shakes her head lightly.  
     "It's concerning how casual you are about it."  
     "I don't know," I breathe as I turn away and look up the mountain ridge.  "Something weird was happening.  I didn't really ever think I was going to die in there."  I pause, and then shrug.  Maybe I'm better at manifesting than I thought.  
     "I'm glad you're okay," Vi tells me, and I return the sentiment.  I glance over at the dark mist seeming to draw me in.  It's Xaden, as it always, and he's marching toward me with purposeful steps.  He's tense, barely readable in the way his heels touch long before the ball of his foot when he usually steps almost flat instead.  
     He looks almost beautiful in the breeze drifting down the shallow caldera.  It whips through his loose hair that ruffles.  He glows in the sun like he's it's eldest child, reflecting gold off his tawny skin and flashing sparks in his eyes.  
     His gaze sweeps to me for mere moments before swinging right again.  I look over and see the rest of the group have stopped talking.  He marches straight up to us without even slowing his speed until he suddenly halts a few feet in front of Dain.  
     "There's a change to your squad roll," he tells.  
     "Wingleader?" Dain murmurs in a questioning tone.  He straightens his back a bit and flicks his eyes to Violet for a mere moment.  "We just absorbed four from the dissolution of the third squad."  
     "Yes," Xaden acknowledges simply.  I watch as he, too, glances over Violet's way, something of a grimace nearly tugging his face.  "Aetos, Vaughn Penley will be leaving your command, and you'll be gaining Liam Mairi from Tail Section."  Dain pulls on a mask of calmness and bows his head in understanding.  
     He's not here, but of course, I know him.  He was only moments behind my time on the Gauntlet.  Sometimes I feel like that pink and gray patch should be his, and I wonder what those colors might mean to him.