LIII

・・・ ・・・ ・・・

・・・ ・・・ ・・・

     I don't fall off the Parapet this time, thank the gods.  I'm not entirely sure Sgaeyl would catch me this time, though I think Xaden would.  It's honestly surprising how much easier it is with skintight leathers instead of a dress, even with a massive billowing cloak over my shoulders.  
     Xaden trails me with his hands firmly holding my hips like that'll help if I slip off.  I throw my arms out and march forward with exaggerated kicks on a rhythm I sway my head to.  
     "Stop wiggling around and focus," he grumbles behind me as his fingers tighten further into my skin.  I smile a bit to myself but I do cut it out, only for the fear laced through his voice.  

     The moment we get into the safety of the crack in Basgiath's wall, he strides forward until his chest collides with my back and almost sends me to the floor.  
     "Don't ever put your life at risk over something as trivial as talking to me again," he grovels into my ear, bent over my back.  I almost shiver, using that energy to shake myself from his tight grip and begin forward again.  I don't let him go completely though, mostly from the worry that he might turn around and bolt back out there, and instead lace my fingers between his.  
     "We'll see about that," I tell him with a grin on my face.  
     "I will put Liam on your ass next year if you can't keep yourself in line," he grumbles at me.  I finally clear the wall only to notice Garrick and Bodhi have left. 
     "Oh.  They're gone."  
     "They probably know I'm going to kill them for letting you out there," Xaden tells me.  His hand squeezes mine for a moment and he rounds out by my side.  

     I shrug quickly and begin forward again.  The wind has picked up once more, whipping around the dark cloak draped over my shoulders and tickling my face with wet rabbit hide.  
     "Where are we going?" he questions as pull him toward the school.  The awning is clear now, and with the wind picking up the night setting in, I wonder if it got too cold for the dresses of low-terrain folk.  
     "Keeping talking that loud and we'll never know," I quip.  He huffs out an exasperated breath that makes me giggle under mine before I throw open the large double doors leading into the main hall.  We step into the spiral staircase leading up toward the larger rooms, but I take us past the second floor, completely bypassing my room.   

     Xaden's grip tightens just a bit more.  
     "Seriously, where are we going?"  I grin to myself as we get to the third floor landing but I don't turn to leave the stairwell.  
     "You're taking me to your room."  
     "I'm what?"  Xaden's steps stutter but I keep climbing despite the heavy patter of my heart.  
     "You're taking me to your room," I reiterate.  
     "Someone will see," he argues quickly, but I only shrug.  "It's not my reputation I'm worried about, Vicious.  You're a first-year and I'm your Wingleader."  
     "I really don't give a shit," I tell him with a passing glance over my shoulder.  "And we're almost there anyway."  

     We get to the last floor with a roof and I step out into the hall.  The ceilings are vaulted and huge, soaring up well past any other dormitory floor and rivaling the main corridor with its grandeur.  
     "Gods.  This place is stupidly nice.  Which one's yours?"  I look over toward him and everything suddenly clicks together, like the world finally fit itself into one big picture.  Looking at him with a small cocky smile on his face, his lips slowly parting to make some snarky comment and his eyes rolling before gliding my way.  His face is framed from the archways of windows leading out to a star-filled sky not unlike his in my head and there's a dazzle in his gold-flecked eyes when they trace the lines of my face.