Chapter 8: Nice to Dream

You and Emerald are in the upper levels of Mistral as a TV on a wall played the news regarding Vale.

"Good thing we bolted before the invasion happened."

Emerald: "Yeah. At least we got paid before then."

"Now we're back to square one. However, I was a bit worried about losing my edge in this."

Emerald: "Same. Why don't we take a walk?"

You nodded and walked with Emerald. You passed by multiple people and swiped the Lien from their pockets. Later, you went to an abandoned house and sat down for a bit.

Emerald: "The higher we go, the better things are as opposed to the lower levels where they will always have things for a price, whether they should or not."

"I think that's what you gotta love about this place: Someone's always going to have something you want."

You then used your semblance to look through your bird's eyes through Mistral.

Emerald: "Find anything yet? Nobles? Convoys? Banks? Maybe some museums with valuable artifacts?"

"Still looking. Hey, can I ask you a question?"

Emerald: "Shoot."

"You ever wonder what it could be if we weren't thieves?"

Emerald: "Y/N, I've been asking myself that every day. I always wondered how I'd turn out if I had people who looked out for me back then. But life said otherwise, and I was forced to survive. I do wonder what it's like to be those kids from Beacon. That red-hooded girl seemed to be enthusiastic about becoming one."

"Every kid I've seen is the same. Always having dreams of fighting evil and saving the world. When they haven't seen what the world is really like."

You deactivated your semblance and looked out the window.

Emerald: "It is nice to dream though."

"Yeah. Kinda our only escape. I get a feeling that there might be a side we'll have to lean closer to."

Emerald: "Same. I do like to dream that I had a normal life."

You stayed silent for a minute before saying "Same".

The two thieves watched the sunset over Mistral.