CHAPTER FOUR

Nick was very tired but he still wanted to go home. He wouldn't miss Gabriella's birthday for any reason. He got into his car and drove away. Ava stood at the door watching him drive away. She felt her heart shatter as she watched him leave. She turned to go back inside, but stopped when she had a bad feeling. However, she shoved it off and went back inside.

Gabriella came out of her room. She was in a white maxi-dress. She had no plans for the day but she knew she had to come up with one. She hoped Trevor and Roel would celebrate with her her birthday.

Gabriella thought about Nick and her lips curved into a smile. She missed him because they had not seen each other since her previous birthday, where they didn't spend a lot of time together. Daniella loved Nick's hardworking nature and she always hoped he would remain the same way.

The door went open and Roel and Trevor happily entered the house, walking straight towards Daniella. She smiled as the two hugged her and wished her a happy birthday. They then handed over their gifts to her. She was very happy and she almost opened the gifts but Trevor told her to open the gifts later, to which Roel agreed.

Oliver walked downstairs seeming confused. He looked at his wife then turned to the gifts. Trevor hugged him and he returned it back then pulled away.

" What are we celebrating again?" He asked, squinting.

" Mom's birthday, Dad." Roel answered, annoyed that Oliver never remembered Gabriella's birthday.

He hugged her, ashamed of himself. The door to the living room went open and Nick walked into the house. On his hand was Daniella's gifts. All eyes turned to him and Roel groaned loudly. Trevor wore a huge smile. Daniella walked towards him and smiled. He lay aside the gifts and hugged her. Oliver looked away.

" You made it, Nick."

" Happy birthday mom."

He pulled away and turned to the gifts. He handed his gift over to her. Then took Ivy's gift and looked at her.

" Mom, this is from my fiancée, whom I'm marrying soon."

Gabriella looked at him in a shocked manner.

" You will marry her?"

" Yes mom. "

" I haven't even met her and you want to marry her? What if I wouldn't like her?"

" I agree with your mother, Nick. Bring her to us before you marry her. Our opinion matters here." Oliver supported. Roel rolled his eyes. He was already bored with everything they were discussing.

" Not to be rude but I don't think so, Dad. Even if you guys don't like her, I will marry her. I love her." At this, he turned to Gabriella who was now staring at the gift.

" Go ahead mom. Open the gift. I want to see what your future daughter-in-law got for you. Besides, we can use her gift to rate her, right Dad?" Oliver nodded in support.

Daniella opened the gift and took out the necklace. It was a simple necklace. She raised it up for them all to see. Roel scoffed. Oliver folded his hands. Trevor turned to Nick.

" I like it, Nick." He smiled at Trevor and thanked him.

" Daniella has better jewelry than this simple necklace, I mean, they take a lot of space in our room."

" Yeah. This is trash to mom. What does your fiancée do for a living? Is she a nanny or something?"

Nick angrily turned to Roel, who gave him a disgusted look before turning to Gabriella.

" I will do the honors of throwing it away for you, mom." He smiled. Nick couldn't believe him.

" If you don't like it, or if you won't use it, just give it back to me. I will take it back to her mom."

" It's okay Nick. I'll take it. Besides, as it seems, it is a present from my future daughter-in-law. So, I'll have to accept it. She seems like a kind person. She went this far for someone she hasn't met yet."

" Come on, mom. You will not even use it."

" I will, Roel."

Nick was glad that she accepted and valued the gift. He was sure that Ivy will also be happy to hear the great news.

Gabriella then took Nick's gift and opened it. She took out of the box a beautiful maxi dress which she really loved and also a pair of wedges. She smiled at Nick and lovingly hugged him.

" I love these, Nick."

" I am glad you do, Mom."

They stayed together bonding and when asked by Gabriella how long he was staying, Nick said he would leave in the evening because he was needed at work. Trevor understood that he was always busy, and when Oliver started complaining about it, Trevor told him that he should try and understand him.

Nick was standing at the balcony two hours after as he tried to call Ivy but she wasn't answering. He was now deeply worried about her. Roel slowly walked towards him, his hands inside his pocket.

" So when is your wedding?" Nick turned around, surprised.

" Soon."

" Mhhh. Am I going to get an invitation?"

" Of course, Roel." Nick answered and Roel smiled.

" Tell me more about her."

" She is a kind and loving person."

" Okay. Mark my words though Nick. Nothing good is ever coming out of your life. You are just a person people see as helpless and maybe that is what the girl is seeing. As long as I'm alive, I'll prove it to everyone."

He walked away. Nick was left thinking about his words. He chose to ignore it and went back to calling Ivy. As he was calling her, he felt a sharp headache and was dizzy again. He slowly walked back to the living room. Gabriella and Trevor looked at him.

" Nick, are you okay?" She asked, standing. Nick nodded and walked towards a settee. He was near the settee but he collapsed before he sat. Gabriella and Trevor ran to him, worriedly. Roel just stood at the door, watching as Gabriella shouted for someone to call an ambulance. Trevor took out his phone, his hands shaking. He called the ambulance.

Roel looked at the unconscious Nick, then Gabriella. He walked away, unconcerned.