4

As Juliana was stood awkwardly with her loud friend group, Mr. Smith walked past them.

"Hi, Sir!" said Juliana, smiling.

He gave her that peculiar little wave of his back. Juliana grinned. That gave her the spark she needed to get through the rest of the day.

Eventually, the final bell rang. Juliana got home, still thinking about Mr. Smith. She went to her room, and looked in the mirror, speaking to herself.

"It happened. I finally found someone who...really gets me, you know? Someone who makes me smile and laugh. Someone who listens to me. Someone who takes an interest. Someone who cares. Someone who I can truly be myself around. Someone who just makes me so happy...but... I'm not even allowed to be friends with him. So I just...admire him from the sidelines...as I fall madly in platonic love with him."

She sighed, her heart beating quicker as she spoke.

"Where other teachers are simply babysitters, he's more like my dad. It's nearly the end of the school year too...and...if I'm not taught by him next year..."

Juliana took a deep breath.

"I hope the way he makes me feel is here to last..."

Her voice cracked.

"And he will never know how much he means to me..."

Juliana stared into the mirror for a few moments before flopping onto her bed. Why did she have to be like this? It was so...bittersweet. On one hand, she had found this absolutely lovely person who makes her feel so very happy, but on the other hand she had to deal with not even being allowed to be his friend and always thinking that her feelings were wrong. It felt like both bright sun, rainbows, clouds and thunder all at once. It was so confusing. Juliana stared at the ceiling.

She took a deep breath.

"I want him to know, but I don't want to tell him."