Chapter 5: Conflicting Emotions

The success of their collaboration had brought Chompu and Engfa closer. However, it also left them grappling with new and unfamiliar feelings. Both women found themselves thinking about each other more often than usual and their interactions mixed with a tension that neither could fully articulate nor understand.

One evening, as the café was winding down for the night, Chompu and Engfa were in the kitchen cleaning up. The air was filled with unspoken words and the soft buzz of the refrigerator. Engfa glanced at Chompu who was meticulously scrubbing the kitchen counter with her eyebrow furrowed in concentration.

"Chompu," Engfa began speaking hesitantly, "we need to talk."

Chompu paused and turned to face Engfa, "What is it about?"

Engfa took a deep breath. "It's about us. About what has been happening between us."

Chompu felt her heart beating fast and furious. "What do you mean?"

Engfa stepped closer with her voice lowering down. "I mean the way we've been around each other lately. It's weird and different. And I don't know how to deal with it."

Chompu's eyes blinked with apprehension. "I actually felt it too, Engfa. But I don't know what to do either. I don't want to say anything as I'm scared of ruining what we have."

Engfa reached out and took Chompu's hand in hers. "I'm scared too. But we can't keep pretending that nothing is happening."

Chompu pulled her hand back, frustrated and confused. "Then what do you suggest we do? It's not like we can just... flip a switch and everything will make sense."

Engfa's temper flared. "I'm not saying we have to have all the answers right now, but we need to start being honest with each other. I can't keep sneaking around my own feelings."

Chompu crossed her arms and her voice start to rise. "And what are your feelings, Engfa? Do you even know? Because all I see is you giving me mixed signals."

Engfa's face flushed with anger. "I care about you, Chompu. More than I've cared about anyone in a long time. But... I'm scared of losing you if this thing between us doesn't work out."

Chompu's eyes become softer, the anger giving way to vulnerability. "I do care about you too, Engfa. But I'm so afraid of getting hurt."

Engfa stepped closer, trying to close the distance between them. "Maybe both of us are overthinking on this. Maybe we should just take a leap of faith."

Chompu analysed Engfa's eyes. She could see the sincerity and fear mirrored in them. Her heart pounded in her chest as she felt herself being drawn closer. "Hmm, a leap of faith," she whispered.

Before any of them could anticipate each other's actions, Engfa leaned in. Her lips met Chompu's in a cautious kiss. It was soft and cautious at first, but quickly deepened as their bottled-up emotions between them spilled over.

Chompu responded by wrapping her arms around Engfa's neck and pulled her closer. The kiss was an emotional release of all the confusion, tension, and longing they had been feeling for each other. It was a moment of clarity amidst the chaos.

When they finally pulled apart, both were breathless, their foreheads resting against each other's. "That was..." Chompu began, searching for words to ease the tension.

Engfa smiled softly. "Confusing. Intense. Amazing."

Chompu nodded with a small grin playing on her lips. "All of the above."

They stood there, holding each other. It seemed that the weight of their confession has finally lifted slightly off their shoulders. "So Engfa, what now?" Chompu asked quietly.

Engfa sighed. "Let's take one step at a time. No more pretending. We will figure this out together."

Chompu's heart swelled with hope and uncertainty. "Together."

As they closed the café for the night, the feeling of love has sparked between them. Though the future maybe uncertain, they are determined to make this work. With hearts intertwined, hand in hand, they were ready to face everything together.