CHAPTER 23 - Shattered

shattered /ˈʃatəd/ — broken suddenly and violently into pieces

     Erwin had ordered them to pull back. The moment Reinae landed next to him and Levi on a tree branch, covered with blood, she got slammed into the trunk.

     "Are you out of your mind?" Levi growled. "Why the hell did you wait for so long!? I thought you got smashed under the Titans!"

     "I'm fine, Levi," she growled back, annoyance marking her tone. She was beyond pissed.

     "Do you always have to be so irresponsible? And you," he spat, turning to Erwin. "What did you order her to- "

     Levi cut himself off when he saw the commander looking down at the horde of Titans, smiling.

     "Oi," Levi spat. "The hell are you smiling for?"

     Erwin chuckled. "She got us."

     Levi and Reinae shared a confused glance.

     "And that's something to laugh over?" Reinae asked, her brow raised.

     "The enemy was prepared to give up everything," Erwin continued. "I never thought she would have the Titans eat her to erase all information..."

     Levi and Reinae stared at their commander with utter disbelief. The woman then frowned, pushing Levi away since he was still pinning her against the tree trunk.

     "She wasn't eaten," she said, making Erwin's head snap in her direction. "She used the cover of steam to escape."

     Both men were quiet. Erwin's eyes flashed as he realized Reinae was right. Levi turned in the direction of his squad, making their way through the forest to retreat.

     "Fuck," he cursed, grabbing his blades.

     "Replenish your gas, Levi," Erwin ordered stiffly. "And go."

     Levi was gone before Reinae could protest. She grabbed her ODM and made to follow him, but Erwin grabbed her arm.

     "Not you," he said, holding her back.

     "That bitch is going after Levi's squad, Erwin. I'm going to help."

     "Levi will help. You'll go to the medical wagons."

     "Like hell, I will!"

     "Reinae," he said with a sternness that made her flinch. "Go check if your squad is alive and stay out of this until we retreat. You're in no state to fight."

     He raised his hand to brush the blood off her lips—the blood that had trickled from her nose when she dug into Annie's memories. Reinae stared daggers at him, but he gave her a look that told her he wasn't giving her a choice. He was giving her an order. So she slapped his hand away and cursed him before flying in the opposite direction of where Levi had disappeared among the trees.

 So she slapped his hand away and cursed him before flying in the opposite direction of where Levi had disappeared among the trees