Chapter Six: Growing Attraction

The following weeks passed in a blur of confusion and conflicting emotions for Zoe. Her relationship with Alex remained strained, their conversations tense and filled with unspoken accusations. Meanwhile, her bond with Aria continued to deepen during their community project meetings.

One sunny afternoon, as Zoe and Aria worked side by side planting trees in a newly cleared area of the park, Aria broke their comfortable silence.

"So, how are things with Alex?" she asked, her tone carefully neutral.

Zoe sighed, brushing a stray curl from her forehead. "Honestly? Not great. We're talking, but it feels like we're just going through the motions. I don't know if we can fix this."

Aria nodded sympathetically. "I'm sorry. I know how hard that can be."

"What about you?" Zoe asked, realizing she hadn't seen Aria's bruise in a while. "Are you... safe?"

A small smile touched Aria's lips. "I am. I ended things with him. It was hard, but... I realized I deserve better. Someone suggested that to me recently," she added, giving Zoe a meaningful look.

Zoe felt her cheeks warm, and not just from the sun. "I'm glad you're okay. You do deserve better, Aria."

Their eyes met, and Zoe felt that now-familiar flutter in her stomach. She looked away quickly, focusing intently on the sapling in front of her.

"You know," Aria said softly, "I never thought I'd say this, but I'm grateful for this project. Not just for the work we're doing, but... for the chance to know you."

Zoe's heart raced. "I feel the same way," she admitted. "You've really changed my perspective on a lot of things."

"Including Blackwood Energy?" Aria asked, a hint of challenge in her voice.

Zoe laughed. "Let's not push it. But... I've realized that things aren't always as black and white as I thought."

As the sun began to set, casting a golden glow over the park, Zoe and Aria packed up their supplies. Their hands brushed as they both reached for the same tool, sending a jolt of electricity through Zoe's body.

"Sorry," they both said at the same time, then laughed nervously.

"Zoe," Aria said, her voice suddenly serious. "I know things are complicated with Alex, and we come from different worlds, but... I can't ignore what I'm feeling. Can you?"

Zoe's breath caught in her throat. She looked into Aria's eyes, seeing her own turmoil reflected there. "Aria, I-"

The shrill ring of Zoe's phone cut through the moment. Alex's name flashed on the screen.

"You should get that," Aria said, stepping back.

Zoe nodded, answering the call. "Alex? What's up?"

"Where are you?" Alex's voice was tight with anger. "I came by the apartment to talk, and you're not here. Are you with her again?"

Zoe felt a flash of irritation. "Yes, I'm at the park. We had a scheduled planting day, remember? I told you about it."

"Right," Alex scoffed. "Another excuse to spend time with Aria. You know what? Forget it. I'll see you at home."

The call ended abruptly, leaving Zoe staring at her phone in disbelief.

"Everything okay?" Aria asked, concern evident in her voice.

Zoe shook her head, feeling overwhelmed. "I don't know. I think... I think I need to go home and figure some things out."

Aria nodded, understanding and disappointment warring in her expression. "Of course. Zoe, whatever you decide... I'm here if you need me."

As Zoe walked home, her mind and heart were in turmoil. The growing attraction she felt for Aria was undeniable, but so was the history she shared with Alex. She knew she was approaching a crossroads, and the choice she made would change everything.

Stepping into her apartment, Zoe found Alex waiting, his expression a mix of anger and hurt. She took a deep breath, knowing that the conversation ahead would determine the course of her future – and her heart.