City of Wonder

Hunter struggled to open his eyes this time as he adjusted to the pain his face had just underwent. As his senses came to however, he realized his face didn't hurt. He looked around him at his distorted view and could barely make sense of his current surroundings. Hunter took a deep breath and was very \surprised to feel water rush into his system. Quickly, Hunter realized the atmosphere around him was liquidous like a pool of water. Hunter panicked, throwing his arms and legs all over the place, realizing he was confined in a small, cylindrical area with no opening to escape. As Hunter stopped to think, he realized he was perfectly capable of breathing, despite being suppressed in water. He looked around, trying to analyze the room, however the constant movement of the water made it difficult. From what he gathered, his friends were in similar tubes around him, making an arch. Anything else was too far and distorted to assess. Suddenly, the tube gargled as the water above him began to drain. Bubbles tickled Hunter as the bubbles rushed to reach the top of the container where the air was. As the water cleared, the glass encasing rose upwards, setting Hunter free from his aquatic prison.

Stepping out of the tube, Hunter noticed that despite just floating in a tube of water, his clothes weren't wet. In fact, he was completely dry: his clothes, hair, and skin. Looking up, Hunter was now able to clearly see his surroundings with the water out of the way. He was in a dark-lit room that mainly housed the five testing tubes he and his friends were just in. Next to each of the tubes was a glass panel that listed statistical information on each of his friends, although Hunter didn't care to read it. Above him, next to the dim lights were monitors that also displayed text of some sorts although far too small to read. In the center of the roof was a fan that kept the room chilly. On the wall that separated the first and the last tube was a large door with no handle to open although there was a keypad on the right side awaiting biological input such as a handprint. Around him, Hunter's friends stepped out of their tubes, easing awake.

"Where are we?" Daniel began, addressing the elephant in the room.

"Some place with testing tubes, so you tell me," Jackson sarcastically responded.

"What time is it?" Sadie asked, patting her pants in search of her phone.

The kids joined her, quickly realizing they had been stripped of all their belongings.

"Great, we're stuck in God knows where with no way to communicate with others," Sadie complained, crossing her arms in annoyance.

"Alright guys, if we die, I think we should eat Daniel," Ethan started. "He's smart and if you are what you eat then it's the smartest to eat the smartest person."

"What— you can't eat me!" Daniel explained, covering his body with his arms.

"Yeah, he probably wouldn't taste good either," Hunter bickered, rolling his eyes at Daniel.

Just then, the door behind them hissed, circuits whirring as the door lifted upwards. Behind it stood two cats: the one to the left wore a light-blue collared shirt with accompanying beige cargo shorts, flip flops, and glasses. The one on the right wore a camo jumpsuit; the top half slipped off and tied around his waist revealing a white tank top underneath along with an eyepatch over his right eye and black combat boots.

"Alright guys, we have some news to share with you," softly spoke the cat on the left.

The entire group fell silent.

"Finally, some explanations!" Hunter cheered, clapping as he looked among his peers who were now staring flabbergasted at Hunter.

"What? Do I have something on my face?"

"WHAT?" Daniel practically screamed, looking back and forth between the cats and Hunter.

"Did that cat just talk?" Sadie asked.