Chapter 8

U-turn

Lane won in second position.

Masaya kaming lahat sa naging resulta. Dahil nakita namin na binigay ni Lane ang lahat even the front wing of his car broken.

It's been almost a month that I haven't seen him. At last, I have a glimpse of him. The interviewer was asking him a question and praising him because he lasted until the end although he has a ruptured car.

Habang pinagmamasdan ko siya mas nakilala ko siya. I can feel his dedication on track. The way he explained things makes my heart flutter.

He's wearing his overalls and a hat. Ibang iba kapag nandirito siya ngunit mas lalo lang siyang naging gwapo dahil sa nakita ko. He was looking at the camera but the way he stared it's like he's looking through me. Parang alam niyang nakatingin ako sa kanya at nararamdaman niya na may gusto ako sa kanya. Kaya naman hindi ko matagalan ang paningin ko sa kanya.

Pagka-uwi namin sa bahay pagkatapos ng lahat na paglilinis ay inalam ko ang lahat ng tungkol sa kanya. I stalked every bit of him from his name to his ancestor. I searched his name on a website and this is what I found:

Name: David Lainseir Lacroix

Born: September 7 (age 24 years) Batanes, Philippines

Height: 1.86 m

Nationality: Filipino

Education: Stanford University (Engineering)

Car number: 7

Parents: Alejandrino Lacroix, Laviana Lacroix

Salary: 45 million USD

Championship: 1

Wins: 30

Podiums: 33

He studied first before reentering. His father made him realize that education matters the most. After four years, he graduated with a Bachelor's Degree with Distinction and returned to the track. And I can see that he's doing well in his two years of driving.

His father was a driver as well—I discovered after doing further research. An automobile company is owned by his family. Right now, the CEO is his father. Lane's father is the one who taught him to drive as well when he was a kid, but Lane's father was forced to stop after Lane's grandparents passed away because of that his father took over their business.

Despite being closer to his grandparents, he still maintains a solid connection with his parents, considering that they teach him music and spend time with him. And because his father was a driver when he was a kid, they didn't spend time with him. Laging naiiwan sa lolo at lola niya. He said in an interview.

I got stunned sa mga nalaman ko. Parang gusto kong lumiko at huwag na lang pukawin ang umusbong na pagka gusto sa kanya.

Sa mga nalaman ko sa kanya parang bumaba ang pagtingin ko sa sarili ko. Kuko lang pala ako ni Lane.

Bumuntong hininga ako sa mga nalaman ko. His success makes me want to do my best not to be equal with him, rather to be the best version of myself and for my family as well.

Wala akong pasok ngayon. Tulala ako habang naglilinis ng pool kakaisip kay Lane. Karangalan ko palang makasalamuha ng tulad niya sa dukhang tulad ko.

Bumuntong hininga ako at kumuha ng dahon na nahuhulog sa pool. Hindi ko masundan kung nakuha ko ba o hindi ang mga dahon.

“You're not planning to jump, are you?" said the raspy voice behind me.

Napatalon ako sa gulat. Muntik pa akong madulas kung hindi niya nahawakan ang buhok ko. Hindi man lang sa bewang o sa kamay sa buhok talaga. Mukha tuloy akong sinabunutan.