Chapter 4: The Hidden Threat

---

### Chapter 4: The Hidden Threat

The school day had been relatively uneventful for Jungkook, a stark contrast to the turmoil of the previous week. He kept his head down, avoiding eye contact with anyone who might remind him of the bullies. Jin's words of encouragement echoed in his mind, providing a faint glimmer of hope amidst the lingering fear.

After school, Jungkook headed straight home, eager to seek refuge in the familiar comforts of the penthouse. As he entered the spacious living room, he found V engrossed in a phone call, his expression unreadable.

"Hey, hyung," Jungkook greeted softly, trying to gauge V's mood.

V glanced up, ending the call with a terse nod. "Hey, Kookie," he replied, his voice tense. "How was school?"

Jungkook hesitated, unsure of how much to reveal. "It was... okay," he replied cautiously, keeping his tone neutral.

V studied him for a moment, as if sensing his apprehension. "Something on your mind, Kookie?" he asked gently, his tone softer now.

Jungkook shifted uncomfortably, debating whether to share his concerns with V. "I... I heard some rumors at school," he admitted reluctantly, his voice barely above a whisper.

V's brow furrowed slightly. "What kind of rumors?" he asked, his tone guarded.

Jungkook swallowed hard, the words tumbling out in a rush. "Some of the guys... they were talking about you, hyung," he explained hesitantly. "They said... they said you're not to be messed with, that you're involved in... things."

V's expression darkened, a flicker of concern crossing his features. "I see," he murmured, his voice tinged with regret. "Kookie, there are things about my life that I haven't told you. Things that are... complicated."

Jungkook's heart sank at V's admission. "Are you in danger, hyung?" he asked quietly, his voice trembling with worry.

V sighed heavily, running a hand through his hair in frustration. "There are people who don't like what I do, who would try to hurt me or those close to me," he admitted reluctantly. "But I won't let anything happen to you, Kookie. I promise."

Jungkook nodded slowly, his mind swirling with conflicting emotions. He wanted to believe V's assurances, but the fear gnawed at him, reminding him of his vulnerability.

Later that evening, as they sat down to dinner, the atmosphere between them was tense yet strangely comforting. V made an effort to lighten the mood with small talk, asking Jungkook about his day and sharing anecdotes from his own childhood.

Despite V's attempts to distract him, Jungkook couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled over him like a heavy blanket. He glanced nervously at V, wondering how much of his brother's life he truly knew.

As they finished dinner, V cleared his throat, his expression serious. "Kookie, I need you to promise me something," he said quietly, his eyes locking onto Jungkook's with unwavering intensity.

Jungkook swallowed hard, sensing the gravity of V's words. "What is it, hyung?" he asked cautiously, bracing himself for what was to come.

V took a deep breath, his gaze never wavering from Jungkook's. "I need you to be careful at school, Kookie. There are people out there who might try to use you against me," he said firmly, his voice tinged with urgency.

Jungkook's heart skipped a beat at V's words, the reality of their situation sinking in. "You mean... because of what you do?" he asked quietly, his voice barely audible.

V nodded solemnly. "Yes, Kookie," he replied, his tone heavy with regret. "I never wanted you to be involved in this world, but now that you are... I need you to stay safe. Can you promise me that?"

Jungkook nodded slowly, a lump forming in his throat. "I promise, hyung," he murmured, his voice choked with emotion. "I'll be careful."

V reached across the table, squeezing Jungkook's hand reassuringly. "Thank you, Kookie," he said softly, his eyes reflecting a mixture of gratitude and sorrow. "I'll do everything I can to protect you, no matter what."

As they sat in silence, the weight of V's words hung heavy in the air. Jungkook knew that their lives had changed irrevocably, that they were now bound together by secrets and dangers that lurked in the shadows.

That night, as Jungkook lay in bed, he couldn't shake the feeling of unease that clung to him like a second skin. He stared up at the ceiling, thoughts racing through his mind, wondering what tomorrow would bring and how he would navigate the treacherous waters of V's world.

---