I want us to be friends

Author pov.

Wangji's footsteps echoed through the deserted corridors of the (Jinling Tower) Residence, his boredom and isolation palpable. He had arrived with Wuxian, but his husband's abrupt disappearance left him feeling lost and alone. His elder brother, Xichen, was engrossed in a conversation with a group of esteemed guests, leaving Wangji to his own devices. As he wandered aimlessly, a soft voice interrupted his thoughts, "Greetings, First Qizi Wei. I've heard a great deal about you." Wangji's gaze shifted to the speaker, a woman in her late 30s with a saccharine smile that sent a shiver down his spine. Her eyes gleamed with a knowing intensity, making Wangji's instincts scream warning.

"Since when did I become a celebrity in the cultivation world?" Wangji's brow furrowed, his tone laced with skepticism. He had kept a low profile since his return, avoiding attention and focusing on his own growth. The woman's smile never wavered, her voice dripping with an unsettling sweetness. "Oh, you're far too modest, Wangji. Your...exploits have made you quite the legend." Wangji's frown deepened, his patience wearing thin. "Enough with the flattery. What do you want?" he asked gruffly, his eyes narrowing as he awaited her response.

The woman's sweet smile faltered, her expression twisting into a malevolent smirk. Her eyes gleamed with a sinister intensity, radiating an aura of malice that made Wangji's instincts bristle. Yet, he refused to be intimidated, his gaze remaining calm and composed, his eyes locked onto hers with a cold, piercing stare.

"We share a common problem, Wangji," she began, her voice laced with venom. Wangji's confusion was palpable, his brow furrowing in disbelief. "What could we possibly have in common?" he asked, his tone firm but measured.

The woman's smirk grew wider, her teeth gritted in bitterness. "Wei Wuxian," she spat, her name dripping with venom. "He's the bane of our existence, the source of our suffering." Wangji's eyes narrowed, his mind racing with questions. What could this woman possibly have to do with Wuxian? And what kind of trouble had Wuxian gotten himself into this time?

The woman's words spewed forth like venom, her eyes blazing with a malevolent intensity. "Wuxian is a selfish man, consumed by his own ambition. He's ruined my reputation, stolen the respect of our peers, and left me a shell of my former self. I crave revenge, and I know you do too, Wangji. You, of all people, must understand the pain of being wronged by that man."

Her gaze locked onto Wangji's, her eyes gleaming with a sinister light. "Let us join forces, Wangji. Together, we can bring Wuxian down, crush his ego, and restore our own honor. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, after all."

Wangji's expression darkened, his face twisting in disgust. "You dare to suggest such a thing?" he growled, his voice low and menacing. "I may have my differences with Wuxian, but I would never betray him. And as for you, how dare you speak of him in such a manner? You know nothing of our relationship, nothing of what we've been through."

Wangji's eyes flashed with anger, his words dripping with venom. "Listen well, woman. I am the wife of the Yiling Patriarch, and I will never betray my husband. I will never join you in your petty schemes or condone your evil plans. And if you dare to try and harm Wuxian, I swear on my life that I will kill you myself."

The air seemed to vibrate with tension as Wangji's words hung in the air, a stark warning to the woman who dared to cross him. His love for Wuxian was not weak, and he would stop at nothing to protect him.

The woman's words slashed like a dagger, aimed precisely at Wangji's vulnerabilities. "Wife? Ha! You're just one of three, a mere pawn in his game of pleasure. He craves a woman's touch, not a man's. Your marriage is a farce, a convenient arrangement to placate the cultivation world. Don't deceive yourself, Wangji. Wuxian's heart belongs to no one, especially not you."