Chapter 101: The Risky Contact

Kinn

Two days have passed since I learned of Nope's death and Gun's betrayal. The news hit me like a punch, leaving me dizzy and furious.

- No, finally, he showed his true colors by turning against us to join Gun, now working for Tiger's Eye. It's a betrayal that could have been anticipated...

The anger still burns inside me, as strong as ever. Porsche, who spends all his time in my apartment, listens to me while cooking for the first time in weeks.

- We have doubts about No but not about Gun... How could we have predicted that?

I watch Porsche busy himself. It reassures me to see him like this. He's cute when he takes care of me.

I freeze thinking about this. I had promised myself not to look for cute details about Porsche so as not to accentuate the attachment I have towards him.

I could reject him but it's unwelcome of me knowing everything he's done for me since Pete's been gone.

- I don't know, Kinn. Boss Gun is a family member and we don't usually suspect someone in the family when something bad happens. He had his flaws but not to the point of suspecting him of treason.

- I wonder how long Boss Gun has been betraying us...

- I wonder too but we'll have to wait until we capture Gun to understand his true intentions.

I stay in my thought for the next minute. The pain of this betrayal mixes with the rage of knowing that Gun and Tiger's Eye are now direct threats to us. Each thought of this betrayal brings a wave of frustration and disgust to me but there is also another one.

Porsche brings the meal to the table. We start eating the hot dish, while I confess.

- The biggest concern is the safety of Vegas and Pete. Knowing they're being hunted by Gun fills me with anxiety...

I can't bear the thought of losing more of my family. The fear of what Gun might do to them is ever-present. I take a deep breath, trying to calm my racing mind. Porsche takes my hand in his.

- It's going to be okay, Kinn. The situation is under control. Boss Korn is on the case. The best we can do is wait, pray, and support each other.

I sigh, knowing Porsche is right. We intend to rule out research sessions into the reasons for our health problems. I know the situation requires a thoughtful and strategic response. Porsche and I will only be a burden to the rest of the team.

Gun's betrayal and Nope's death change the situation, but that doesn't mean we're helpless. On the contrary, Dad has more than the situation in hand as he mobilizes all our resources and contacts to track down Gun, Vegas and Pete, and put an end to this threat.

"Wherever you are Pete, I'll bring you home."

Vegas

I have been angry with Pete for two days. Two days since he let me sleep for over 14 hours, when we didn't have a second to lose. He probably meant well, but he doesn't seem to understand the stakes and the gravity of our situation. We can't afford to waste time. Every minute counts, and every minute lost can bring us closer to danger.

For two days, I have been driving non-stop, my foot heavy on the gas, trying to compensate for what I perceive as an unbearable delay. Fatigue is eating away at me, but my determination is stronger. I have to keep us safe, I have to get us away from Dad. Pete doesn't understand it. He thinks that rest is more important, but he is wrong. In our situation, safety comes first.