[ Catch and Release ]

Voldemort's quill moved fast across his parchment as he outlined his plan for the following morning's news release. On the front page, his election as Minister for Magic following Scrimgeour's 'resignation', and the announcement of Harry as his consort. As a sign of his magnanimity, those who had earlier opposed him were given a chance to return to the fold - any further offences would be punished.

On page five, a touching eulogy of Amelia Bone after her sudden death from a jinx gone wrong. The Bones family would suspect foul play, of course, but the positive article and the restitution of the body would confuse them.

Of Dumbledore's death, nothing would be written. Wizarding Britain was small, and soon every gossip would know of the Dark mark floating above his body. Let the rumours about his grisly end be a warning sign to those who would defy Lord Voldemort. The Prophet was there to appease the masses, by showing them that Voldemort's rule was legitimate and so appealing even the Boy Who Lived had joined his side.

Voldemort sent his instructions off with a servant, as well as orders to already bring dinner to his apartment. He would suffer no interruptions that evening, of any kind. Everything he'd ever wanted - power, immortality and Harry - was his, and he would treat himself.

Not that Harry was here at the moment.

His hand fell to his pocket, where he kept Harry's note. He had lost count of how many times he'd read it. The paper would probably have creased and the ink faded if not for the spells he'd used to preserve them.

It was a very informative letter, he thought as he read it once again. The ending was an obvious lie: Narcissa Malfoy was not a dear friend of Harry, though he tolerated her presence better than those of her husband and son, whom he heartily disliked. Yet, Harry had still pleaded for their lives.

He had this desperate need to save others, not just the people he loved but everyone . Harry's letter made it very clear that he wanted to be with Voldemort, but felt he couldn't because it interfered with his self-appointed duty to protect the rabble. Well, Voldemort had turned this protectiveness to his advantage, by convincing Harry he could better help others by being his consort rather than some doomed freedom fighter.

Where was Harry? Had he broken his word and escaped? It was uncomfortable to rely on something as flimsy as a promise. Voldemort would have preferred to cage him, but it was pointless to attempt a third time what had already failed twice. His beloved was far too clever and stubborn to stay his prisoner for long. No, the only chains that could truly bind Harry were the ones he forged himself. His love, his word, and his hero complex would keep him with Voldemort far better than coercion ever could.

I love you. That was the best part of the letter. It felt good to read these three words in Harry's handwriting, but hearing them would be far better. Voldemort had imagined it countless times, the slight blush on Harry's cheeks, the sparkle in his green eyes as he confessed his love...

The door swung open. "I'm back!" Harry made a beeline for him, smiling excitedly, and Voldemort released a breath he hadn't known he was holding. He had let Harry go, and his beloved had come back to him, not just willingly but eagerly . Just as he had planned.

Harry draped himself on Voldemort's shoulders. "What are you doing?" He spotted the note. "You still have that?"

"Of course. Why would I throw away such a charming letter?" He stood up and took Harry in his arms, thankful that his body was stronger than he looked. Otherwise, he would not have been able to easily carry him across the threshold of their apartment.

Harry looked at the living room curiously. "It doesn't look like anyone lived here for a while."

"Scrimgeour preferred to act as if he was still the Head of the Auror Office. The last people to occupy these rooms were Fudge and his wife, which explains the decor." They had chosen a mix of purple, green and gold, very garish. "I'll have it remodelled to our tastes. Now, my dear, do you want the full house tour or straight to the bedroom?"