21 | rules of a rom-com world

When I started as a small, independent webtoon author and artist, I often struggled with creating scenarios for the next chapters. While I was satisfied with my illustrations, I felt frustrated with how I executed the scenarios and turned them into drawings.

During those moments of constant creative block, I scrolled through the internet, noting some of the most common rules among countless stories similar to mine.

Thinking more carefully about it, ever since I became one of the main characters, I've realized most of the cliché rules have already happened to me.

The first rule I experienced was when I was still a background character, watching Aeri and Junwoo from a distance.

1. The main pair often shares a romantic moment, leading to a deeper connection.

This rule applied in chapter three when Aeri decided to walk back to the classroom to catch up with Junwoo. She didn't care if it was only for a few minutes. As long as she got to talk to him alone and hint at her feelings, that was enough.

In chapter four, it was revealed that Yizhuo was the one who pushed Aeri to take the chance and have a moment with Junwoo in chapter three. Thus, the next rule applies.

2. Supporting characters frequently try to play matchmaker, pushing the main pair together.

Because Aeri was so open around her close friends, it was obvious to Yizhuo that she had a huge crush on Junwoo. The eyes she gave her were different from those she gave Junwoo. Of course, Yizhuo only recognized this because she often stared at her and supported her behind the scenes.

This leads us to the next rule.

3. A love triangle, square, or whatever shape is almost always present, creating tension and drama.

Junwoo used to have a crush on someone else and attempted to confess but got rejected. And while Yizhuo is smitten with Aeri, the latter is unfortunately in love with Junwoo. What's more? The second female lead exists—Jimin, and she's also in love with Junwoo.

Well, at least she used to be. Not in this version of the story. I'm almost certain she doesn't have feelings for Junwoo anymore, considering she hasn't been confidently and low-key making a move on him like in the original storyline.

Jimin was that confident, quiet, and intelligent girl. However, lately, in this version of the story, she isn't so quiet anymore. I've noticed how she's become more playful and ambitious.

This version of her, I honestly think she's becoming prettier lately... or maybe it's the MC effect...?

But recalling the original version, where I didn't prevent her from hearing Aeri's low-key confession to Junwoo, she stood behind that door like a frozen statue and overheard everything.

Jimin's heart ached, and she became confused. She wasn't sure what to do as she was still inexperienced with love-like feelings. It was a new territory for her to step into, and one knows how scary and puzzling understanding that kind of new environment is.

4. A sudden, unexpected confession usually occurs in a dramatic, emotional scene.

That rule didn't just apply to Junwoo.

It applied to me too!

In this world's version of the story, despite chapter three being finished, the event with Jimin overhearing a confession still happened! And that ball that almost hit her in the face that was supposed to be aimed at Aeri...! It still happened!

The more I thought about it, the more I realized many of the events meant for the main lead instead affected and occurred to the second lead.

My mind landed on a certain conclusion.