057

114 AC
Kings Landing

Princess Valera and Prince Daemon led their children to the great hall, where almost every High Lord and Lady had gathered for Princess Rhaenyra's wedding feast.

A moon prior, Queen Alicent went to King Viserys with the suspicion that Princess Rhaenyra had given her sworn protector, Ser Criston Cole, her maidenhead.

The only evidence she had of such a scandal was a piece chain mail that one of the handmaidens found in Princess Rhaenyra's bed chamber, underneath of her bed. The same day, Ser Criston was having maintenance done on his armor to replace a piece of missing chain mail.

Not wishing to risk another scandal with one of his daughters, King Viserys ordered the Queen to keep such slanderous accusations to herself. The next day, King Viserys informed Princess Rhaenyra of his plans to marry her to Ser Laenor Velaryon.

"I am not of his interests," Princess Rhaenyra told her father when he sat her down to receive the news of her betrothal. "My half brothers would be to more of his tastes," she said with a smug smile, making Valera and Daemon chuckle on the other side of the table. Viserys shot the couple a sharp look, making them regain composure.

"You do the kingdoms a great service in helping to mend the crowns relationships with the Velaryons," King Viserys told his second daughter, sighing as he did so.

The last half of the year, King Viserys had sent Princess Rhaenyra to every great house to receive those who vied for her hand, so that she may choose her own husband. The King was hopeful that Rhaenyra would return with an answer at the end of her tour, but instead, she returned two months earlier than planned, refusing to marry anyone "below her station."

This time away from the Red Keep, and the prying eyes of her family, and the court, allowed Rhaenyra to to spend a plentiful of unchecked time with Ser Criston Cole, a man a decade older than the Princess.

"It is not my relationship to mend," Rhaenyra stood from the long table, "you are the one who scorned them, father. Not I," She told him before storming from the small council chamber. King Viserys laid his head in his hands, shaking it in defeat.

"Please speak with her," King Viserys asked Valera, "she listens to you, looks up to you..."

Reluctantly, Valera did as the King wished and spoke with her sister.

"What," Rhaenyra snapped when Valera knocked at the door.

"Sister?" Valera called out as she opened the bed chamber door.

"Did father send you?" Rhaenyra's words were less of a question and more of a statement.

"He did," Valera admitted and sighed as she shut the door behind her.

Rhaenyra sat in the fetal position on a black settee in front of the fireplace. A large feathered pillow was clutched to her chest and tucked under her chin. Rhaenyra sighed deeply and continued to stare into the fire as Valera approached her. Even when Valera crossed in front of her and sat next to her, Rhaenyra's focus on the flames did not falter.

The sisters sat in silence for a few moments until Valera quietly cleared her throat and softly asked, "did you give him your maidenhead?"

Only then did Rhaenyra's eyes go to her sister, in a glare as sharp as a valyrian steel dagger.

Valera held her hands up to her sides in innocence, "I do not care if you did, I only ask."