CHAPTER 4: Full Circle

Chapter 4

Full Circle

Four days earlier

Makki thought he knew everything about life.

But the truth is, you never really know.

Makki, himself, never died. But there were some days a couple of years ago, when he felt like he did. Days filled with misery, pain, and fear. Sometimes it felt like those were all he would know in his entire life. If someone had asked Makki, if he had believed in the beauty of life then, he would have shook his head, saying 'things have changed' and leave it at that.

But then Makki noticed something in Iwaizumi.

He could have swore he saw something unreal, something more. As if the time loop – as if everything Iwaizumi had done so far –, changed his whole being, his very core. Everything they had done together with Matsukawa, Ushijima, and Tendou–

It feels like we changed the world.

Sometimes Makki dared to be brave, and say it was destiny. Because usually, when many people got together from various and different places, at an inconvenient time, most would say it was destiny.

Makki – all he knew nowadays was how to be brave.

There was something comforting leaving everything to fate's hands. As if he could lean back and let everything unfold in his life. He had never felt like that before. It was refreshing, something new.

As if he could believe in anything now.

This was the thing he had been thinking about on his way home. He left the hospital after Oikawa had gone to the airport. It was hard to imagine him living in that big city – although he was not all by himself there, that was something.

He'll be fine.

Well, well, Makki even surprised himself with how positive he had gotten over the past few days. He walked to his house and fiddled with his keys, standing in front of his house. As he tried to find the right one, the door opened and–

The first thing Makki noticed were the suitcases. Several. More than twelve, at least.

The second thing was his mom.

His mom crying, as she tilted her head, saying,

"I should have done this earlier," she whispered and gestured towards the suitcases, taking a deep breath. "I know I'm late. I know I'm horrible and the worst mom in the world." She took another deep breath that sounded as if it came from the pounding beats of her heart, and then turned back to Makki. "But I'm going to be even more horrible and ask you to come with me."

There was something gentle in her eyes, something which made Makki forget to think.

And he dropped his keys.

Because those eyes made him believe in things he had long forgotten to believe in.

His mom followed it with her gaze and then looked up with worry. "Taka," she spoke with a small voice but Makki just felt his whole world crash down.

They stood like that for what felt like ages, the world was spinning and then his mom lifted her hands and cradled Makki's face with them. She gently brushed his tears away and then Makki could finally see she was crying, too.