CHAPTER 5: Crowd Full of Strangers

Chapter 5

Crowd Full of Strangers

Hanzou worked every single day and probably has met more than a million people. As a taxi driver, people might think he would forget every single person's face he had been in a car with, but that was not the case at all.

Hanzou remembered every person he had met in his life.

There were normal days, there were insane days in his life – there were unforgettable moments, memories in his life that would stay with him forever. Most of the time, he could even get a person's name and could attach to the memory.

Today was one of those lucky days.

He was around the airport when he noticed a girl taking off with a suitcase. She signaled Hanzou so he stopped and went out from the car to get her suitcase to the trunk. Then he held out the door for her and closed it. He stepped into the car, to the driver's seat, and asked,

"Where to, miss?" He put a cigarette in his mouth and looked back to the girl.

The girl was smiling. "To Shibuya," she said with joy. "To my friend's house, please."

Hanzou smiled, too, as he asked, "For a visit?"

"There's going to be a wedding," the girl answered with a little laugh. "She caught a singer. Or a guitarist? Or both? I'm not sure."

Hanzou grinned as he started the car, "Miss," he snorted, "It will take a while before we reach Shibuya, but until then I'm going to tell you an insane story. I once brought the wife back to the ceremony!"

The girl's eyes widened with delight. "Oh, really? Now that's something, mister!"

Hanzou shook his head. "Call me Hanzou, miss. I feel like we're going to be buddies."

The girl laughed. "Then you may call me my name, too, Hanzou."

Hanzou then began to drive away from the airport. As the city began to glow yellow, red, and orange, he asked the girl, "What can I call you then?"

"Nao," she said with a little smile. "My name is Nao."

––––––––––––––––––––

Ito doubted he could forget the boy who had helped him get to the airport in time, just to reach his daughter's wedding. Even though the kid forgot to tell his name to Ito, the man wouldn't forget him in all his life, as long as he lived.

He was working in his office, late at night. He was wondering what happened to Oikawa Tooru.

His friends – a red haired fella and one who looked rather shy but also very determined –, visited him a couple of days ago, because they had been searching for a professional. Ito obviously gave them his old friend's phone number, Tachibana Akihito's.

Ito knew that kid would be alright.

But he wondered.

He wondered about life. How everything seemed to connect in ways no one could actually comprehend.

Ito thought that if magic existed, it would be life.

––––––––––––––––––––