Talk

Hoka stepped into an office, sighing. She glanced at the woman across the table from her, narrowing her eyes.

"Hanabi." Hoka greeted, crossing her arms.

The woman smiled softly, saying "Please, Hoka. No need to be so formal."

"Coming from my worst abuser."

Hoka's mother flinched at that, averting her gaze to the floor in both shame and guilt. Hoka sat across from her, frowning.

"The only reason I'm even here is because I am trying to move on." Hoka said dismissively. "So, say what you want to say, and-"

"I'm sorry."

Hoka froze. Her wings lowered behind her, and she stared at her mother.

".... What?" She finally choked out.

"I am sorry, Hoka." The woman said, unable to look her in the eyes. "I have spent the last few years regretting everything I did to you."

Hoka grit her teeth, scowling.

"Don't patronize me! I spent years suffering because of you and dad! You seriously expect me to believe that you're just here to apologize.?!" She snapped.

"Hoka, please! I just want to make things right between us-"

"TEN YEARS!" Hoka snapped at her, her wings flaring out. "I was five when you started beating me! Hours of drunken beatings, telling me how pathetic and worthless I was! It was a fucking miracle that I didn't kill myself that first year of UA, and I got damn near close!"

"Hoka-"

"Shouta Aizawa is the only person I will ever consider a parent! Get that through your thick fucking head!"

With that, the woman stormed off, moth scales trailing behind her in her rage.

.

"Again."

Akemi panted, glancing at her teacher. Hoka's eyes had dark bags underneath them, and she appeared exhausted and increasingly irritable.

"Teach," Akemi spoke up, brushing dust from her gym uniform. "There was nothing wrong that time-"

"That's an order!" Hoka snapped at her.

"No, this is an order."

Hoka turned around, freezing.

"I leave for one month, and already I'm called in because you're throwing a temper tantrum." Shouta sneered. "It's bad enough that you're interrupting my vacation; even worse that you're taking out your emotions on your students, Hoka."

Hoka bit back a sharp retort. He was right. She hated that, despite being a grown ass woman, she still will back down when he tells her to.

Shouta sighed, turning to his students.

"I'm going to assume your substitute has been nice up until this point?" He questioned.

The students all nodded.

"Good."

With that, Shouta dragged Hoka away to the school roof. Hoka (loudly) protested, practically (read: literally) kicking and screaming the whole way there. Shouta released her once he made sure they were alone, crossing his arms.

"Hoka-"

"Shut up!" She snapped. "You don't get to just come back after a month, and act like everything is fine!"

Shouta sighed.

"Kid," He said, stepping forward. "Whatever's going on, we need to talk about it."

Hoka clenched her fists, too angry to think clearly at the moment.

"Stop that!" She hissed.

"Stop what? Acting like a half decent parent?" Shouta retorted.

Her wings flared out, the red in them flushing brightly, moth scales descending off her wings.

"Stop acting like you're my actual fucking dad!"

Shouta just stood there. Hoka shoved him.

"I hate you! I fucking hate you! Why can't you just-"

He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into his embrace. Hoka shook in his hold, wet sobs leaving her as she broke down.

"Shh.... It's alright, Hoka." He said softly, rubbing circles on her back. "You're here. You're safe. Everything's okay. I'm not mad, kid, I just want to know what's wrong."

Hoka continued to sob into his chest, and if felt like hours before she finally stopped. She sniffled, rubbing her eyes, glancing at him.

"Sorry, Dad...." She said quietly.

Shouta rolled his eyes, saying "I've seen and dealt with worse. Yeah, it hurt, but you're hurting more. You take priority."

She sighed, nodding grimly. Shouta reached onto his pocket, taking out a pack of cigarettes.

"They're your favorite brand." He said calmly.

Hoka fished one out the box, lighting it quickly. She took a deep breath of the smoke, letting the effects flow through her.

".... Hibana called me." Shouta said, sighing. "Why didn't you call me to let me know your mother was let out? I could've been there."

"You were on vacation." Hoka responded, taking a deep inhale of smoke. "I didn't want to interrupt you.... You're always doing so much for me anyway."

"Hoka, you're my kid."

She snickered at that.

"Damn it.... Guess I should stop feeling sorry for myself and tell you about it, huh?"

Shouta ruffled her hair, a smile gracing his face.

"That's my girl." He said, watching her expression. "Now, tell me everything that's happened. You're not normally one to get so worked up."

Hoka sighed.

".... A week ago, at the USJ, a villain attacked the students. He had these huge butterfly wings, and controlled the other villains with this weird mist.... My quirk acted up around him. I mean, yeah, I get that anthropomorphic quirks like mine have a more feral side to them, but.... Lemme just show you."

Hoka took out her phone, tilting it so that he could see the USJ footage. Shouta watched the footage, up to the point where Haywire and Hoka were staring each other down.

"What's with this part?" Shouta questioned.

"Not sure," Hoka responded. "I've fought mutation and anthropomorphic quirks before, and mine's never had a reaction like this before. Everything kinda goes a bit fuzzy at this part...."

Shouta frowned, thinking for a moment.

".... Do you remember how Yukiko's quirk affected her actions?" He asked.

"Huh?"

"Whenever there was trouble, her claws would instinctively come out or her hair would puff up. Sometimes she would hiss, other times snarl." The man explained. "Your quirk is interacting a similar way. For a moment, let's consider your patrol route and anything within its area to be your 'territory'. The only ones allowed within it are your friends, or a familiar presence."

"Hey, wait a minute...."

Hoka tensed for a moment.

"Before the USJ, I got a feeling similar to what you're talking about."

"Yeah," Shouta continued. "So, when faced with someone with a quirk similar to your own, and in your territory, how do you think you'd react? In response to defensiveness...."

"So, basically, it was a threat display?" She guessed.

"Yeah. The two of you trying to intimidate each other into submission."

Hoka frowned. She thought for a moment....

"I need to talk to my mom again."