1

6 years before

The summer of our teenage rebellion blazed hot and bright over Oakwood, and we were its unruly stars. Emily, Sarah, Olivia, Michael, and David-a band of troublemakers bound by friendship and an unspoken pact to defy boredom.

"Emily, catch!" Michael's voice pierced the lazy afternoon as he lobbed a water balloon from Sarah's garage rooftop.

I bolted across the grass, narrowly avoiding a soaking as the balloon burst against the pavement. "You're asking for it!" I shot back, grabbing a balloon and readying my retaliation.

Sarah giggled, her shoulder-length blonde hair bouncing. "You guys are insane," she said, though her eyes twinkled with amusement as she joined in the chaos.

Olivia, our fearless ringmaster, emerged from the shrubs armed with a bucket of water balloons. "Incoming!" she yelled, launching an assault that had Michael and David scrambling for cover.

David, ever the strategist, seized a garden hose and retaliated with a blast of cold water, drenching Olivia from head to toe. "Direct hit!" he cheered, ducking behind a parked car.

Laughter echoed through the neighborhood as our impromptu battle waged on, oblivious to the summer heat and the hours slipping away. These moments-carefree and wild-were the essence of our youth.

As dusk settled over Oakwood, casting long shadows across Sarah's front lawn, we collapsed in a tangle of wet clothes and laughter. "This is insane," Sarah managed between giggles, wiping water from her face.

Michael, his dark hair sticking to his forehead, grinned like a rogue. "Best summer ever," he declared, eyes sparkling with mischief.

Olivia flopped down beside me, her curls a riot of laughter. "Who cares if we get in trouble?" she exclaimed, tossing aside another spent water balloon. "We're invincible!"

David, usually reserved, nodded in agreement, a rare smile softening his hazel eyes. "To the end of summer," he toasted, raising a soggy balloon in salute.

"To the end of summer," we echoed, sealing our pact with laughter and the shared thrill of rebellion under the watchful gaze of the stars.

Little did we know, those starlit nights of mischief and camaraderie would soon give way to the complexities and challenges of high school, where friendships would be tested, hearts broken, and the bonds of our Oakwood upbringing strained in ways we never anticipated.

But for now, under the fading light of that summer evening, we were young and fearless. We were bound by the stars that witnessed our adventures and shenanigans, believing that nothing could dim our spirit of rebellion.

---