10

I woke up to so many questions. Last night was girls' night, just me and Olivia, so she stayed over at my apartment.

"It's not a date, Liv," I said, rolling my eyes while finishing my makeup.

"I literally don't trust you," she said, laying on the bed, giving me a skeptical look. "You look way too good for 'just a tour.'"

I sighed. "Michael is just being nice. He offered to show me around since I haven’t had a chance to explore the city yet."

"Uh-huh, and that’s why you’re wearing your favorite dress and spent an extra twenty minutes on your makeup?" Olivia teased, smirking.

"Shut up," I laughed. "I just want to look nice. There’s nothing wrong with that."

Olivia shook her head. "Just promise me you’ll keep an open mind, okay? Michael’s a great guy."

Before I could respond, there was a knock at the door. My heart skipped a beat, and I glanced at the clock—it was 8:00 on the dot.

"That’s him," Olivia said, grinning. "Have fun on your 'not-a-date' date."

I shot her a playful glare before heading to the door. I took a deep breath and opened it to find Michael standing there, looking effortlessly handsome in a casual button-down shirt and jeans. His warm smile instantly put me at ease.

"Hey," he said, his eyes twinkling. "Ready for our tour?"

"Hi,yupss!," I replied, stepping outside and closing the door behind me.

As we walked towards his car, Olivia’s words echoed in my mind. Maybe this wasn’t a date, but I couldn’t deny the flutter of excitement in my stomach. We got into the car, and Michael started the engine, the soft hum filling the silence.

"First thing's first," he said, glancing over at me with a smile. "Breakfast at my favorite restaurant."

We drove through the city, the morning sun casting a golden glow on the buildings as we passed by. Michael pointed out various landmarks and shared interesting facts about the city, his enthusiasm contagious. The restaurant he took me to was a cozy little place with an inviting aroma of fresh coffee and pastries.

"This place is amazing," I said as we walked inside.

"I knew you’d like it," Michael replied, leading me to a corner table by the window. "They have the best pancakes in town."

We ordered our breakfast, and as we waited, we talked about everything—our lives, our dreams, and our past. It felt so natural, so easy, like no time had passed since high school.

"Do you ever think about going back home?" I asked, glancing at him.

"Sometimes," he admitted. "But I love it here. It’s given me a fresh start."

"I get that," I said. "This place does feel like a new beginning."

Michael looked at me intently, his brown eyes full of warmth and mischief. "Emily, do you remember that time in high school when you tried to dye your hair purple and it turned out bright orange instead?"

I groaned, covering my face with my hands. "Oh God, don't remind me. I looked like a walking traffic cone for a month!"

Michael laughed, his eyes crinkling at the corners. "I thought it was pretty bold. You definitely stood out."

"Bold? More like a complete disaster," I said, laughing along with him. "And you! You’re the one who dared me to do it!"

"True," he admitted with a grin. "But hey, it was a memorable look. And you rocked it in your own unique way."

We both laughed, the shared memory breaking the ice and making me feel more at ease. As the laughter died down, Michael leaned back in his chair, a playful glint in his eyes.

"So, Emily," he began, casually swirling his coffee cup. "You're single, I'm single... ever think maybe there's a reason we’re both in Sydney at the same time?"

I raised an eyebrow, catching the flirtatious tone in his voice. "Oh? And what reason might that be, Mr. Matchmaker?"

He shrugged, a teasing smile playing on his lips. "Maybe the universe is trying to tell us something. Like, I don't know, that we should spend more time together."

I felt my cheeks warm, but I managed to keep my tone light. "Or maybe it's just a coincidence and you’re reading too much into it."

"Maybe," he conceded, still smiling. "But I’ve always believed in following where life leads. And right now, it seems to be leading me to you."

I rolled my eyes, though I couldn’t suppress a smile. "Smooth, Michael. Real smooth."

He laughed. "I try. But seriously, Emily, I’ve missed our friendship. And who knows? Maybe it’s time to see where things can go now that we’re both here."

I looked at him, my heart fluttering at the sincerity in his eyes. "Maybe you're right. Maybe it's time to see what the universe has in store for us."

Our breakfast arrived, and we continued talking, the easy banter and shared laughter making the meal even more enjoyable. Michael's presence felt comforting and familiar, yet exciting and new. As we finished our food and got ready to explore the city, I couldn't help but feel that this was the beginning of something special. Perhaps, just perhaps, Michael was the one who could help me rebuild my faith in love.