8

It was the day we were all going our respective ways. Well, here comes the last day. I have always hated endings. Whenever I read a book, I feel like I just want to live in the space between the beginning and the end...

I chuckled to myself, “Do you understand what I’m trying to say? Well—”

“You can't even do one thing the right way!” Olivia beamed at her boyfriend, Alex.

“I only have two hands, Liv,” he said, sounding annoyed.

“You can't win this argument, buddy,” Michael chuckled while putting the luggage in the car.

“He's right, Alex,” I laughed.

“Hey, you were supposed to be on my side, both of you!” Liv pointed at us.

“Don't talk to me, all three of you!” she said angrily, stomping off to take her seat in the car.

“Hey, I’m your best friend; you can’t do this to me,” I followed her, hearing the two boys laughing in the background.

“Yeah, so well, I was saying that if there is a beginning to something, whether it's good or bad, it will definitely end. And here we are, at the end of our little adventure.”

As we settled into the car, the mood was bittersweet. We had spent an amazing time together, filled with laughter, shared memories, and a renewed sense of connection. But now, it was time to f
go back to our routines.

The car ride was filled with light-hearted banter, our usual dynamic easing the tension of our impending goodbyes. Michael sat next to me, and I couldn’t help but steal glances at him, memories of our late-night walk replaying in my mind.

“So, what’s next for everyone?” Michael asked, breaking the comfortable silence.

“Well, I’m heading back to uni,” Olivia said. “Got a ton of assignments waiting for me."

“Work, as usual,” Alex replied with a sigh. “But I’m looking forward to our next adventure already.”

“And you, Emily?” Michael turned to me, his eyes warm and curious.

“I’ll be back at the café and attending classes,” I said. “But I’ll miss you guys.”

“Same here,” he said softly, his gaze lingering on me a moment longer than usual.

As we reached our destinations and started unloading the luggage, the finality of it all hit me. This was it—the end of this chapter. But as I looked around at my friends, I realized it wasn’t really an ending. It was just a pause, a brief intermission before our next adventure together.

Olivia, ever the emotional one, pulled us all into a group hug. “I love you guys. Don’t be strangers, okay?”

Michael and I rolled our eyes on her dramatics," Yeah, ofcourse not" Michael says.

“Definitely not,” Alex agreed, squeezing Olivia’s hand.

As we said our goodbyes, I felt a strange mix of sadness and hope. Also, I tomorrow university starts and my work as well, so I am looking forward that.