Chapter 07: Lucky Girl

"Behind this unbreakable glass, a recently discovered relic, the only extant copy of Archmada's Book of Spells."

The Tennyson and Hayden family were on a stopover in New Orleans and were currently taking part in a guided tour of a museum.

"It contains witchcraft secrets dating back to the late 17th century." Gwen and the tour guide declared at the same time.

The old tour guide glared at Gwen.

"Maybe you should work here, my dear." She said coldly and led the group to the next exhibition.

Ben approached his cousin.

"Don't let the mummy head get to you, it's probably older than this spell book." He said, pretending to go stiff as a corpse, making Gwen laugh.

Hayden looked at the book in the display case, then around him.

"What's the matter, Hayden?" Max asked.

"This book of magic was discovered recently. And I've got a bad feeling about it." Hayden declared.

"Are you still paranoid about that crazy witch girlfriend you met in New York?" Ben asked.

"Then she's not my girlfriend, she wasn't really crazy, and I'm just worried she's going to screw up again." Hayden corrected.

"Are you still talking about that? Stop it, now." Gwen scoffed.

"Oh, if you knew all the weird stuff that's happened to me, you wouldn't be so closed-minded about magic." Hayden said, causing Gwen to roll her eyes.

Suddenly, there was a dull roar and everything in the room rose into the air. A puff of red smoke rose through the window above and then materialized into a pale, emaciated man with tattoos on his face that made him look like a skeleton and a girl with silver hair and violet eyes.

"Charmcaster..." Hayden murmured in shock. "She's not supposed to be here..."

Charmcaster looked up at him and her face immediately darkened into a scowl.

"You again..."

"Uh... Hi." Hayden said casually as he floated through the air.

The man looked up at Hayden.

"Is this the man you told me about, Enchantress?"

Charmcaster flinched visibly at the man's words.

"Yes... Uncle Hex." She said in a small voice.

Hayden was abruptly moved forward and found himself face to face with the pale man.

"Because of you, my niece failed to bring me the Alpha Rune. What do you have to say for yourself, boy?"

Hayden noticed that Charmcaster no longer looked as confident as she had in New York, throwing nervous glances at her uncle as if she were afraid or something.

"Uh... I'm sorry?" He said with a shrug, not really having another option at hand at the moment.

The man didn't look amused. His eyes, as well as the orbits of the bird skull on his stick, began to glow.

"Wait, Uncle Hex..." Enchantress began, looking downright panicked.

"Silence!" Hex shouted, silencing her immediately. His eyes sparkled with energy as he raised his staff to Hayden.

Hayden turned to Ben.

"Uh... a little help wouldn't be a luxury?"

"I thought so!" Ben said, activating his watch. "It's hero time!"