Chapter 10: Truth

"And then, a big boom. No more Vilgax. At least, that's what I thought, until today." Says Max ending his story about the last time he defeated Vilgax, by strapping him to a nuclear bomb and sending him into space.

"Woah! You were a hero?" Said Ben with wide eyes.

"I was just someone doing his job." Max told him.

"Uh, what exactly was that job?" Gwen asked.

Max paused, then spoke.

"We called ourselves the Plumbers. Officially, we didn't exist. We were the guys who fixed the problems no one else could. Aliens. Extrasensory. Extraordinary."

"All this time I've been acting like a hero, really following in your footsteps! I'm a plumber in training!" Ben exclaimed.

"I wouldn't call you a hero. More like a..." Said Hayden before pausing, trying to think of the right name.

"A hotheaded, rather irresponsible child with the illusion of being a hero?" Hope suggested.

"Yes, that." Said Hayden, earning himself a dark look from Ben.

"And you knew about the watches all along?!" Gwen insisted.

"Not really, I've only heard rumors. I was surprised like you when it happened, even more so when I found out there were two of them." Max declared.

"You always told us we could tell you anything, Grandpa. I guess you didn't feel the same way..." Said Gwen, a hint of pain in her voice.

Suddenly, the sound of sirens rang out. Max stopped on the side of the road as several police cars and an ambulance sped past them.

"Good! Maybe this would be a good opportunity for the plumbers to get back to work!" Ben exclaimed.

"Ugh, you should start by unclogging your brain, it must be running out of air. "Mr. Plumber." Gwen sniffed.

"You're just jealous because you're not part of the family business!" Said Ben, sticking out his tongue.

"There is no 'family business'. My hero days are long gone." Max declared.

Ben, being Ben, wasn't listening at all and jumped out of the camper van.

"Well, mine are just beginning! Time to use XLR8!"

He hit the lens and transformed into Ripjaws.

"Oh Ripjaws?! What a scam..."

"Cheh!" Hayden told him.

He noticed an oncoming fire truck and jumped in. Gwen looked at Hayden and Hope.

"Why is she looking at us like that?" Hope asked Hayden.

"She must be saying with her eyes, 'If you don't go after him right now, I'm going to scream,' look." Said Hayden.

"Why should we join Ben?"

"I don't know. She probably wants some competent older people watching him, or something."

Gwen's eyes crinkled.

"Ugh, come on Hope." Hayden sighed.

Hope rolled her eyes and followed him.

------------------------------------------------

Big Chill-Hayden lands in front of a closed hotel, holding Hope.

"Could I hit Ben?" Hope asked.

"Let me know first, so I can look away and pretend I didn't see anything." Said Big Chill-Hayden.