Chapter 16: Tough Luck

Four Arms-Ben was helping a tour bus carrying senior citizens that had veered off the highway and fallen into a canyon.

"It's all right, everybody. Everything's fine now." Said Four Arms-Ben as he walked back to the camper.

"So you're not going to help us, Mr. Strong Man. Who raised you, anyway?" Exclaimed an old man.

"Oh, be a dear and carry me, will you? My bunions are killing me." Asked an old lady.

"Your bunions, my bum. My new hip is out of whack, I'm first!" Shouted the other.

Four Arms-Ben sighed and reluctantly began helping them off the bus.

Meanwhile, in the Rust Bucket, Gwen was browsing websites about witches, ancient runes and magical artifacts before brandishing her old mask.

"Lucky Girl... I wish you were more than just a Halloween costume." She said, sighing heavily.

She looked at Hope with sad eyes. Hope looked back at her.

"For the last time, I'm not giving you my spell book."

"Oh, come on! I'll just read it. I promise I'll give it back to you when I'm done." Gwen begged.

"Magic isn't something you can just learn by reading a book. It takes years to master and anyway, humans don't have the mana to use magic." Hope said as she wiggled her fingers and a glass of water floated up to her and she took a sip.

"You do it very well..." Gwen grumbled.

"Well, I was born naturally with magic." Hope said simply.

"Well, I could use magic when I had the charm." Protested Gwen.

"You weren't using magic, you were simply channeling the powers of charms. Anyone in possession of a magical object is capable of using magic, witch or otherwise." Said Hope.

"So, if I can get my hands on magical objects, I could use magic too, couldn't I?" Said Gwen.

Hope looked at her before letting out a deep sigh. She walked over to the table and sat down opposite Gwen.

"Maybe, but magical objects are not without consequences, Gwen. Some artifacts can cause their users to lose their minds." Hope sighed, speaking in a low tone that alerted the young girl.

"What do you mean?"

"Once, a man appeared claiming he wanted to become the most powerful wizard who ever lived. And he succeeded... he became one of the most powerful and bloodthirsty sorcerers the world has ever known. He invaded the birthplace of mana, Legerdomain, and conquered it for himself, killing the king... forcing the king's daughter and brother to flee their land, never to return."

Gwen looked at her and realized she shouldn't insist.

Hayden looked at the girls and smiled a little, glad that Hope had confided in someone.

Then he thought back to what had happened. These were the events that normally introduced Hope to the series. But... she was with them and in their camp... what was going to happen.

Ben entered the camper and slumped into the front seat.

"Ugh, sometimes this hero stuff gets really tiresome." He groaned.

"You should be proud of yourself, Ben. These people would have been in a very difficult situation without you." said Max.

"I know, but I'd just like a normal summer day where I could hang out all day and do nothing. You know, like Gwen." Says Ben.

"You should appreciate what you have, I was only Lucky Girl for a few hours!" Protested Gwen.

"Really? Was that all? Because with all the bragging you did, it felt like weeks." Ben laughed, then she threw a pillow at his face.