Chapter 40 | Part 1

When we left the hospital room, Tim letting me cling to his hand, neither of us failed to notice the additional two persons in front of our door who looked suspicious.

They played it off really well when we arrived but still didn't look very pleased to see us, as if we weren't supposed to see them. There was a man and a woman which I didn't have time to properly look at. Tim barely paused at the sight and just made me walk in front of him.

He only speaks again when he steps into the driver's seat.

"You saw them, didn't you?"

I nod, putting on the seatbelt and setting my bag between my legs. "Who were they?

"No fucking idea." He grunts, grabbing his phone. He types for a few seconds, before calmly starting the car and taking a glance around the parking lot. Twice.

"What are you searching for?"

"I don't really know. Can you memorize the plates of these two?"

He points to the most basic looking black car, a bit old-fashioned looking, but nothing out of the ordinary. Then to one just as flashy twenty meters from there.

I quickly make up mnemonics so I don't forget and nod, confused. "I got them."

"That's my girl."

He pulls out of the hospital and joins the main road. It takes a moment before he breaks the silence. "What have you noticed about the cars?"

I frown. "They are all alone?"

He nods. "They are near an issue – a very convenient one – when there are parking places all around that make the walk to the hospital shorter." He takes a look at the rear view mirror. "Wait a minute. I have to make a call."

His words quickly get muddled as pain shoots through my stomach. I press my lip together and bring my knees to my chest, suddenly feeling very cold. I've given all my energy to focusing while Tim and I went over much needed explanations, and now I feel drained and worse than before.

I close my eyes to bear through it all. I open them back minutes later, when I feel his hand on my forehead.

"The last two plates, Sunnish."

It takes a moment for me to register his words, before I make my brain work and enounce them.

He glances at me questioningly and immediately says goodbye to his father, ending the call. His hand reaches toward me, engulfing mine.

I give a small smile.

"What's wrong?" His deep voice asks. "Is it your period?"

"Yes, don't worry." I mutter. I set my forehead against the cold glass of the door, sighting at the coolness. "I'm okay."

"Where does it hurt?"

I slowly turn my head to look at him, doing a once over of my body. "My stomach, my... head and I feel sick and tired. But I'm fine!"

He rolls his eyes, keeping his gaze on the road. "Of course."

I frown at his tone, setting my head on my knees.

"One question before I stop." He explains, sensing I don't feel like talking. "Do you know how to fight?"

I blink. "You were there on the mats with Brian and Jason?"

"Yes, but is that it? Or were you going easy on them?"

I frown. "Hey! That's it but... it's good... I mean, I'm pretty happy with my skills, no? I wasn't holding back..."