5

Kylie opened the blinds in the living room, the morning light casting a gentle glow across the room. She reached for the remote and turned on the TV, tuning in to Channel 9 News. She grabbed her headphones from the couch, put them on and made her way to the laundry room.

"Good morning, I'm Maria Thompson and this is Channel 9 News. We have breaking news from downtown Phoenix, Arizona. A devastating fire broke out at the Lawson Marketing Agency Firm at 11 p.m. last night and burned up till this morning."

The screen cut to a live shot of the burning building, firefighters still working to fully extinguish the flames. "The cause of the fire is still unknown, but investigators are on scene to determine the origin." As Maria continued her report,  a photo of Clint Atwood was displayed on the screen.

"Sadly, Clint Atwood, an employee of the firm, was caught in the fire and was burnt to death. His mother, Brenda Atwood, spoke to us earlier."

The screen cut to Brenda, her face wrought with grief, holding a framed photograph of her son."He loved his job so much," she sobbed. "I just can't believe he's gone." The camera then switched back to Maria Thompson outside the building.

"In response to this tragic incident, Ethan Lawson, CEO and Peter Schmidt, COO, have generously provided financial support to the Atwood family during this difficult time."

Cutting to a clip of Ethan and Peter speaking to reporters, Ethan said, "Our hearts go out to Clint's family. We will do everything we can to assist them in their time of need." 

"This is devastating for all of us at Lawson," Peter began. "Clint was not just a colleague but a friend to many. We will miss him dearly."

The camera focused on Peter for a moment before returning to Maria in the newsroom.

"The duo will be overseeing activities at the other branch of the firm right here in New York City while the other is being rebuilt" Maria said.

"This has been a tragic event for the Lawson Marketing Agency and the community at large," Maria Thompson concluded. "Our thoughts are with the Atwood family and all those affected. Stay tuned for further updates on this developing story.  Maria Thompson, Channel 9 News"

Morgan walked into the living room, rubbing her eyes and letting out a long, sleepy yawn, her tousled hair giving away the fact that she had just woken up. "Too loud," she mumbled to herself, reaching for the remote and turning off the TV.

She shuffled into the kitchen, her steps still heavy with sleep, and opened the fridge, peering inside with a frown. Finding it nearly empty, she sighed and closed the door. She made her way to the laundry room where she saw Kylie folding clothes.

Morgan leaned against the door frame, a playful smile on her lips. "Look who finally decided to wake up," Kylie teased, holding up a neatly folded shirt.

"Whatever," Morgan replied, laughing softly. "Wait, you did my laundry too?" she asked in disbelief.

"Yeah," Kylie nodded. "I was doing mine and figured I might as well throw yours in too."

Morgan hurried over and picked up her shirt from the basket, giving it a quick sniff. "You got the stink out," she said, impressed. "You're the bestest friend ever," she added, pulling Kylie into a warm hug.

"I know," Kylie teased back, returning the hug. "What's for breakfast?" she asked, pulling away.

Morgan chuckled, shaking her head. "The fridge is literally empty," she said. "We need to go shopping."

"Okay," Kylie agreed with a nod. "I'll get ready."

-------------------------------------------------

The grocery store was buzzing with the usual Saturday crowd. The air was filled with the scents of freshly baked pretzels and bread. Bright lights reflected off the polished tiles, and the chatter of shoppers filled the air. Kylie and Morgan pushed a large shopping cart, its wheels squeaking occasionally, as they moved from aisle to aisle, gathering food items.

As they turned the cart around a corner, Kylie suddenly stopped. There he was—the man who had scratched her car the other day. He wore all black workout clothes: a fitted shirt that clung to his muscular frame and shorts that showed off his toned legs with black nike sneakers.

"That's him," she hissed, her grip tightening on the cart's handle.

Morgan looked puzzled. "Who?"

"The guy who scratched my car," Kylie muttered, her voice low and seething.

Before Morgan could react, Kylie pushed the cart forward with a forceful shove. It collided with his knee, causing him to stumble.

"What the heck?" he exclaimed, turning to face her. His eyes widened in recognition. "You!"

She crossed her arms, glaring at him. "What's the big idea? I've texted you several times, but you never responded. I never knew you were a hit-and-run kind of guy."

He pulled out his phone, scrolling through his messages with a frown. "I... I'm sorry. I've been really busy. I didn't see them. I'll fix your car up tomorrow. I promise."

She sighed, the anger slowly ebbing away. "Fine"

"Thanks," he said, nodding slightly before walking away.

Morgan walked up to her side. "What a hottie."

Kylie shot her an annoyed look, her eyebrows furrowing and lips pressing into a thin line.

"Seriously?" she said, exasperated.

"What?" Morgan laughed, holding up her hands in mock defense. "I'm just saying!"

Kylie rolled her eyes, but a small smile tugged at the corner of her mouth. "Come on, let's finish up and grab some lunch,"