026

Lucien hurried out of his room, his footsteps echoing softly against the stone floors as he exited the Slytherin common room. He passed by his group lounging near the fireplace, the dim light casting flickering shadows across their faces.

"Where are you going? It's past curfew, Lucien," Daphne questioned, her voice tinged with worry about getting caught.

"Oh, the snake is up to something sneaky," James said with a cheeky grin, hoping they'd catch the Slytherin doing something dodgy.

Sirius clapped him on the back, a wide smirk on his face. "Time to see what he has been up to all this time.”

Marlene and Dorcas snorted at his attempt, unable to hide their amusement. "Blimey," Marlene chuckled, "you gits are always up for a bit of aggro, aren’t you?"

"I'll be back late. Don't stay up," he replied absentmindedly, his mind clearly elsewhere as he continued towards the exit without a second glance towards her whose neck turned a darker shade of pink.

Watching Daphne turn a shade of pink, Burke couldn't resist teasing her. "Ahh, remember when our 'Ice Queen' would blush like mad over Cyril?" 

His smug grin was quickly replaced with a pained yelp as Daphne kicked him hard under the table. 

Her glare was fierce, like a hawk zeroing in on its prey, but if you looked closely, you could see a telltale blush spreading up her neck, betraying her embarrassment.

"Well, tell me a single girl who hasn't turned beetroot red after meeting him," Eva defended, crossing her arms and raising an eyebrow at Burke. 

Burke snickered, rubbing his shin. "Fair enough, but still, seeing our Daph go all gooey over Cyril was priceless."

Daphne shot Burke another withering look, her eyes narrowed to slits. "Keep it up, Burke, and you’ll be the one blushing next," she threatened.

At nighttime, in the Gryffindor common room, Harry, Ron, and Hermione descended the stairs and began to walk across the floor.

"What are they up to?" Mary pondered aloud, watching the scene unfold.

Lily sighed, rubbing her hands over her face in exasperation. "Honestly, who knows? Like these gits-” she pointed towards the Marauders, “they’re always up to something ridiculous."

They halted when they heard a croaking noise. It was Trevor, the toad that Neville had carried with him since their first day at Hogwarts.

"Trevor," Harry said, recognizing the toad immediately.

"Trevor, shh, go! You shouldn't be here!" Ron added, trying to shoo the toad away.

"Really?" Marlene deadpanned, staring at Ron with an unimpressed look.

"What?" Ron asked, his mouth full of food.

She stared at him for a moment, clearly judging him. "Nothing," she finally said, turning her attention towards the book.