Chapter Thirteen

"Someone's in a bad mood today," Suguru commented as he took his seat beside Satoru in the classroom. "I get it. Mondays have a way of taking the fun out of everything."

Satoru sighed and slumped on his desk, his forehead pressed on the polished wood, and his hands pulling on his hair as he thought back to the night where he learned so many things about his life then and now, including about Toji and his mother. How was he going to face this now? When Toji mentioned about his mother dating again, Satoru truly did not mind at all if it meant his mother's happiness, but he'll make it known to the guy that no one was getting between them both. He'll also act like the protective son who will do background checks, and intimidate the person. Then turns out the guy who was interested in his mom and was hoping to date her was their neighbor.

"Are you mad at me, Satoru?" His mother asked him when it was just them in the house.

"No – Yes – No — augh! I just wish you told me sooner, I mean how long has this been going on?" Satoru was pouting as he sat on the couch with his arms crossed over his chest.

"A few weeks... fine, a month."

"That long?!"

"Yes," Kyouko sat facing him and took his hands. "I'm so sorry, Satoru. We weren't supposed to tell you and Megumi until we knew what this really was, until we were certain that this was going somewhere, but I guess Toji just got tired of hiding – but I told him how disappointed I was of him for telling you before I did and he was sorry."

Toji had his reasons, and Satoru knew why. Aside from learning who the man was and the current situation of his and his mother's hiding, he knew that the reason Toji told him because the man knew what he wanted in the relationship but did not want to scare his mother until she was ready for it.

"Why him? Of all possible people, why the gorilla?" Satoru muttered.

"It just happens, Satoru. You don't get to pick who, and Toji was there. And he was... he was there for me – for us – and we both got along so well... I guess it just happened because of that."

The very neighbor who has been in and out of their home. Who has made himself comfortable in their living room, and leaving his kid with them.

The very same neighbor who was giving him "life skill lessons" – as Toji called it – every weekend to keep him in shape.

Fushiguro Toji. The guy with the annoying smirk and who would always do something to piss him off was going to take his mother on a date.

He hated every part of it.

But for the sake of his mother's happiness, Satoru was going to swallow his pride and keep his opinions about it to himself and let his mother enjoy her night this coming weekend. Who knows, she might realize that she doesn't really like Toji and they decide that they would just stay friends.

Back in the classroom, surrounded by his friends and watching him wallow with the new reality he was facing, Satoru called Suguru's name and said lazily, "My Mom mentioned that we could have a sleepover this weekend too."

"That's a sudden invitation, but I don't see why not," Suguru smiled.

"There's a catch though."

"Hm?"

"We gotta babysit the gorilla's kid."

"You mean Megumi? I have no problem with that. Megumi's a calm kid, and he likes the same things as I do, I might bring him a picture book. But any reason?"

Satoru muttered under his breath the reason, which had his friends ask again about it. He said it again but still wasn't clear enough for them.

"Honestly, Satoru, this is getting on my nerves," Shoko said. "Speak up or I'll hit you withh this." She tapped her metal ruler on his head.