ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 8: ꜰᴀᴅᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀʏ

════ ⋆ 𝐗𝐔 𝐋𝐈𝐀𝐍𝐆 ⋆ ════

"𝐋𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐞𝐝 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐚 𝐟𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐲, 𝐮𝐧𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐠𝐧𝐢𝐳𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐚𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠, 𝐚 𝐠𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐣𝐨𝐲 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞."

As the first rays of the morning sun kissed the horizon, I stood by the open window, allowing the gentle warmth to caress my face. The light bathed the room in a golden hue, a stark contrast to the dim shadows of the previous night's complexities. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath, filling my lungs with the crisp morning air. It was refreshing, rejuvenating, a new beginning after the emotional depths we had navigated just hours before.

A smile found its way to my lips, unbidden yet welcome. The conversation with Zhao last night had instilled a renewed sense of hope within me. The understanding and the connection we shared had offered a brief respite from the relentless pressures of my impending duties as the future king. The thought of risking those rare, stolen moments with him—simple yet profoundly significant—seemed not only worth the peril but necessary. After all, amidst the stringent demands and the looming responsibilities of my birthday and coronation, those fleeting instances of genuine human connection were what I found myself increasingly longing for.

As I stood there, basking in the nascent light of day, I allowed myself to revel in the possibilities that lay hidden within those risks. The thought of weaving moments of warmth and closeness with Zhao into the fabric of my otherwise structured life brought a sense of peace, a quiet defiance against the isolation that my role often imposed.

Today, as the kingdom slowly awoke around me, the corridors of the palace filled with the soft murmur of attendants and the distant clatter of the royal household preparing for the day, I felt a quiet confidence. The challenges ahead were many, and the path to kingship was fraught with trials and tribulations. Yet, knowing that Zhao was there, just beyond the guarded facade, ready to share in both the burdens and the stolen moments of joy, made all the difference.

With a final deep breath, I opened my eyes, the sunlight now fully streaming through the window, promising a day filled with the usual duties and perhaps, if fortune smiled, a few precious moments with Zhao.

As Mei and I made our way through the regal chambers, her presence brought a gentle warmth to the crisp morning air. Her smile was as comforting as the sunlight streaming through the tall windows, and she bowed gracefully, offering a tray adorned with freshly brewed tea. Accepting the cup with a nod, I felt the warmth of the ceramic seep into my palms, a comforting embrace to start the day.

Together, we ventured out into the lush gardens of the palace, where the early morning rays played hide and seek among the leaves and branches of ancient blossom trees. The garden was a quiet sanctuary, a place where the burdens of royalty could be momentarily forgotten beneath the watchful eyes of nature's serene beauty.