Part 4 The Confession

H/N's confident facade seemed to crumble for a moment

H/N's confident facade seemed to crumble for a moment. A flash of vulnerability crossed his face, catching you off guard. He held your gaze steadily, his voice surprisingly gentle. "Who are you talking about? There's no girlfriend at home," he said, his words carrying a weight that sent shivers down your spine. "There's no one but you."

Your heart hammered in your chest, a frantic drum solo against your ribs. Hope, hesitant and fragile, peeked through the cracks of your disbelief. His earlier confidence seemed to fade, replaced by a raw vulnerability that caught you off guard. "Me?" you whispered, the word barely a breath on your lips. The pieces slowly fell into place. "I thought... I thought you met someone and were with her." Your voice trailed off, the confusion swirling within you like a thick fog.

"That explains why you've been acting so weird lately," he said softly, his eyes filled with understanding. You flinched slightly, surprised he had picked up on your emotional withdrawal.

"You've noticed that?" you asked, surprised by his perceptiveness.

"Of course, I've noticed," he replied, his voice filled with warmth and affection. "When it comes to you, Y/N, I notice everything - the way you laugh a little less, the way your gaze saddens away when you think I'm not looking. It all adds up."

Tears welled up in your eyes, a mixture of relief and overwhelming emotion. At that moment, as you looked into his eyes, you knew that everything was about to change.

"I can't believe it...I'm so relieved. Back then, when you wrote about having feelings for a person, I was genuinely happy. Your happiness... it's the most important thing to me. But then, a dark thought crept in. What if..." you hesitated, rubbing your hand nervously and unable to meet his gaze.
Taking a deep breath, you continued, "I was afraid of losing you, H/N. Not just your presence but everything we have built together. All the laughs, the secrets, the moments that feel like they belong only to us. The thought of you having someone else replace that..." your voice trailed off, thick with emotion.

His hand found yours, his touch grounding you in a pleasant warmth that spread through your entire body. When you finally looked at him, you saw nothing but love and understanding in his eyes. "I'm so sorry you felt that way," he said softly, a hint of regret in his voice. "I thought my hints were clear. When you didn't respond further, I guess my own insecurities crept in. I worried you didn't feel the same. That's why I left it for a while. But then, when I saw we were playing in your city, I knew I had to take a chance. I was a nervous wreck the entire time, not knowing how you'd react."