Nothing Seems As Pretty As The Past Though

Pete

I laid on my bed, my face buried in my pillow as I listened to Andy speak and rub my back.

"I really think highly of Patrick, Pete. He seems like a ridiculously nice guy. I mean, he was willing to help you and befriend you, which you never make easy."

"I know, Andy. But I messed up, big time. I yelled at him in the cafeteria for God's sake. And it wasn't like he was prying or anything. I was just scared."

"I know, Pete. But you have to trust that he isn't going to judge you. And I don't mean this in a rude way when I say this, but what is so special about this guy that you're crying over him about one day?"

I sat up and looked at him, wiping my face. "I'm not crying, it's just a allergic reaction."

"And what are you allergic to, huh?" He smirked.

"I'm allergic to the fact that I'm a total jerk." I grumbled, burying my face in my hands.

"Okay, now it's really time to avoid changing the subject. Why do you like Patrick so much, Pete? You've never acted this way when it came to other people."

"I-I don't know. He's just... different. I don't know why, but I feel this unspoken bond between us. I know it sounds weird, but it's true. I really trust him and I really like him, Andy."

I felt like an imbecile for the way I've been acting and what I probably made Patrick feel.

I wanted to tell him that I was wrong for the way I yelled at him, but instead I chickened out, let him run and I sat here and cried face down in my sheets.

I wanted to tell him that he was right, but instead I cried my eyes out and feared when I would see him that night.

"I know, Pete. And only the advice I can give you is that you need to talk this out with Patrick, tell him what's going on. I have a feeling he's not one to judge or run."

Just as he said that, the door opened, Patrick entered our room with bloodshot eyes and a tear stained face. He stared back at me, his eyes never leaving contact with mine.

I desperately prayed to a God that I don't believe in to give me the strength to say something, but no wise words were going to stop the bleeding. But what am I supposed to say when I'm choked up an no one's okay?

Patrick

I stared back at Pete, who looked as torn up as I felt. I looked  over at Andy as he cleared his throat before walking out of the room without a last word to say.

"I... I'm really sorry, Patrick. I didn't mean t-"

"It's already been done. It's fine. I accept your apology." I interrupted him.

"Are you sure? I mean, I feel terrible for the way I yelled at you. I shouldn't have done that." He hiccuped.

"It's fine, really. I shouldn't have pressured you into telling me like I did. I'm sorry for that."

He shook his head wildly. "No, don't apologize. You have every right to know what's wrong and why I do the things I do. I have no right to let you in and then shut you out."

He stood up and walked over to me before I embraced him in a hug, sobbing into his shoulder as he sobbed into mine.

And what felt like an odd and emotional moment to an outsider, was a perfect and bonding moment for Pete and I, one that I cannot begin to describe how important this moment was for our new found friendship.