Chapter 2

AIDAN

~~~~~~

The yellow crime-scene tape stretched taut across the glass doorway of the Diamond Sea, an upmarket jewelry store. I lifted the tape over my head and entered. As I observed the place, I noted the lack of prints or any traces. Not a piece of jewelry was missing, aside from the diamond. Henry looked around, scratching his stubble. He always did that when he was thinking.

The cops already present at the scene didn't find me a happy sight. I didn't pay too much attention to them.

The first to speak was a young rookie, fresh out of the academy. Well-groomed, with his uniform in pristine condition. That was how they always were in the beginning. He didn't look like he had much experience in the field but that didn't stop him from making snide remarks.

"Look what the cat dragged in," he said, and all the officers chuckled in chorus.

I remained insouciant. Criticism and jealousy rarely affected me anymore. They were as significant as the dust on my shoulders. A year of experience in the field was sure to change the behavior of that snarky rookie.

Another officer in his mid-forties, whom I recognized as Russell, flashed a furtive glance at me before looking away.

"You got to be kidding me," he grumbled.

"Not likely, mate," I smirked.

Russell had accompanied me on a few missions. He always hated it when I led the team. He believed he should've been in charge as he was 'older and more experienced than I was'. Well, from the substantial number of cases I solved in seven years, all of them were handed to me because I did the job better.

Having 'more years' of experience doesn't make you the best.

"What's he doing here?" someone asked. I didn't bother to see who it was.

Robert and Louis were among them, too. I found it amusing how the latter was comparatively shorter than his partner, yet his pride was the size of the Chrysler building. Robert scratched his blond hair with a pen, doing serious investigative work. Or at least, looking like it.

Louis saw us and rolled his eyes.

"We're already investigating this one," he said, "Why don't you take off and drag your assistant with you?"

How complacent.

"Big talk, coming from the guy who got his badge from a cereal box," came Henry's prompt reply.

"Don't waste your time talking to them," I said, then addressed Louis. "I was called here."

"In case you forgot, you were kicked out," Robert intervened. "You're not investigating anything."

I sniggered. "I see the promotions you two earned from the cases I solved have given you an ego bigger than your brains. You know I could turn the tables around in an instant if I wanted."

Robert stepped back. Seriously, if the two of them stopped wasting my time and focused on their potential, their abilities, they would've gotten that promotion ages ago.

Martin showed up in the nick of time. "Let them through. I called them. And what the hell are you two doing standing around? You're supposed to be questioning the staff."

The two numbnuts gave me a look before leaving.

"I'm glad you showed up," said Martin.

"Sure," I said.

The vault was at the end of the hall, behind a door made of reinforced steel with a timer lock in the front. It was open, and a Crime Scene Analyst took photos of the interior. Various pieces of jewelry were kept in glass displays. The diamond was stored separately in a steel safe with a combination lock.