Chapter 4

I stared at the diamond, trying to figure out what to do. It couldn't stay in my safe, and I couldn't tell the cops either. They would think I stole it. I bottled my fear. It was an unnecessary emotion I never allowed to overpower me.

The doorbell rang. The best timing possible.

Good thing I carried a handkerchief, for whenever I dealt with evidence. I used it to pick up the diamond and take it out of the safe. Hiding it in the nightstand was my first thought. Not very convenient.

The doorbell rang again. Guess I was out of options.

I opened the top drawer. Inside lay miscellaneous things—a watch, a notebook, pens, keys, and my gun. Under them was a hidden compartment, concealed by a wooden panel. I hadn't used it in a while, ever since I bought the safe. I couldn't take the risk of putting the diamond back in there now.

Clearing the drawer, I lifted the panel and placed the diamond inside, then closed it and replaced everything. I went to the door afterwards and peered through the peephole. Two familiar gentlemen stood outside. The last thing I needed was Robert Gray and Louis Calton ruining my day.

I closed my eyes for a second and scoffed. "You got to be kidding me." Opening the door, I put on a smirk. "If it ain't Laurel and Hardy. To what do I owe this displeasure?"

"Save the sarcasm," Louis said, bluntly. "We've got a warrant to search your house."

"Then you wouldn't mind if I see it?"

He presented the paper to me. "Not at all."

It was genuine, alright. Damn it.

I returned it to him. "What do you hope to find?"

"You'll know soon enough."

They brushed past me and entered the house. Someone spent their time going to great lengths to frame me. They most likely must've tipped the cops off too, though that would be suspicious.

Robert and Louis spared no effort in scouring my house. Pulling on gloves, they tossed things around, opened cupboards and drawers. They searched my bedroom last. Robert went to my wardrobe, swept my clothes aside, and found the safe.

"Well, what do we have here?" he said. "Open it."

I had no choice but to oblige. As I was about to punch in the code, I stopped when I found them peering over my shoulder. They saw my face and looked away. The second I opened it, they shoved past me to look inside. I hated this invasion of privacy, but there was no need for them to know that, so I kept my expression neutral.

Robert examined the miscellaneous things in my safe, picking up a photograph of me and a young woman.

"Whoa, who's this? Your girlfriend?" He grinned. "I thought you were incapable of socializing."

My lips thinned. "Are we done?"

The note stuck to the safe fell to the ground. Louis picked it up. "Who's Amanda?"

"I don't know," I promptly replied.

"Do you take me for an idiot?"

"Most of the time."

Narrowing his eyes, he stuffed the note in the inner pocket of his grey suit. "Alright, where is it?"

I played dumb. "Where is what?"

"Always the smartass, aren't you?" He looked at Robert. "Check him."

His partner frisked me. It felt like I was going through airport security. In the end, he found nothing on me. He shook his head at Louis.