Chapter 5

To Robert and Louis, Martin's words were like a kick to the balls.

"Sir, you can't just let him go!" Robert exclaimed.

"I got a call from Henry," Martin replied. "He and his team found prints at Aidan's house that don't match his. Somebody broke in. So, we've got the wrong man."

Good ol' Henry. Always the lifesaver. Besides, this attempt to frame me was pathetic. I expected whoever was behind this to do a better job.

"I'm still waiting for further evidence and a good explanation. For now—" Martin turned to Louis. "—Remove his handcuffs."

"Sir—"

"Do it."

The one who was happy to arrest me was the one releasing me. I couldn't help but smirk as I held my hand out. He scowled at me while unlocking my cuffs. Martin gestured to the two to leave, and they left as unwillingly as Henry had.

I rubbed the pink marks on my wrists. "What's going on?"

"A turn of events. You remember Gary Spence? He was investigating the diamond case as well."

"Of course I know him."

"He's dead."

What?

I lost my smirk. As far as I knew Gary, he was a capable, sincere cop. He was the one questioning the security guards at the jewelry store. It was unfortunate news. He didn't deserve to end up like this.

"A few hours ago, he had called me," he added. "Saying he had something important to show you—a vital piece of evidence he obtained. He was on his way here, but he didn't show up. His body was found on the sidewalk several blocks away from the HQ, shot to death."

"Someone obviously didn't want him to hand the evidence over to us."

"I think so too. Here's what's going to happen. You're only going to help us with this case because it involves you, so you'll be a part of the team, under the supervision of Robert and Louis."

I raised my arms outwards. "Oh, come on!"

"Either that or you can stay here. It's up to you. Do you want to help or not?"

I didn't know which was worse—being stuck here or being stuck with those two nitwits. Either way, it felt like I was put on a leash.

I scoffed. "Fine."

***

It was nine p.m. when we arrived at the rain-soaked crime scene. The monsoon made the night darker than usual, and more ominous. The lights on police cars nearby illuminated the scene in red and blue, along with the bright flash of a CSA's camera.

Robert and Louis followed me around, watching me like hawks. It made me uncomfortable. I wished I could get them off my back.

Gary Spence lay sprawled out on the sidewalk on his stomach. I pulled on a pair of latex gloves and kneeled beside his body. Borrowing a flashlight from one forensic, I used it to examine the two bullet holes that marked his back. It looked like the work of a 9 mm, judging by the entrance wounds.

"9 mm," confirmed the medical examiner.

"I gathered," I replied. "Point blank range. Time of death?"

"Rigor Mortis puts it at around two hours ago, give or take."

Martin had received the call from him sometime before then.

Gary's eyes were frozen in a wide stare, his mouth left agape. An inhaler lay clutched in his flaccid hand. The CSA's camera continued flashing next to me, while another analyst collected blood samples. He looked at me with a sharp gaze and I nodded awkwardly.