Chapter 9

After the whole fiasco yesterday, I needed a break. The Trickster's motives weren't fully clear. Although he mentioned Amanda, she wasn't the real reason for coming after me. He hadn't told me the truth yet. I still couldn't remember anyone from my past with this big of an issue with me. I mean, of course, a lot of criminals wanted me dead. The Trickster was different, though. He could've killed me already if he wanted to. All he did was play around so far.

With all these thoughts flooding my mind, it was a surprise how I managed to get sleep that night.

The next morning, the four of us met at the HQ. I filled in a clueless Robert and Louis, and faced an upset Henry.

"What the hell happened yesterday?" he demanded. "I'm guessing the Trickster threatened you, so tell me."

"He's holding the families of our three suspects hostage," I replied. "I'm not allowed to go near Mary. If I do, he might kill the hostages, or innocent people at random. He doesn't have limits. I think one of those hostages might be Jacob Coleman."

His brows knitted together. "You mean Mary's son?"

"I read through her profile on the way to the caretaker's house. When I asked her if her son was home, she was scared. She couldn't tell the truth. From the way she reacted, I think something might've happened to him. It's a safe bet to say he could've been kidnapped. She tried to say something before Trickster inconveniently interrupted."

"Fantastic."

"Well, at least we're alive." Louis gave me a nod. That was the closest he would get to thanking me.

Robert leaned against a table. "I guess I was right then. This is about you. You're the only one he contacts."

"I don't know what his motives are yet," I said. "But he's gonna do something terrible soon."

"So what do we do?" Henry asked.

"At the moment, nothing." I crossed my arms. "There's nothing we can do except play along and keep a close watch on things. He's bound to make a mistake somewhere along the line. We catch him then."

"Sounds like a shitty plan," Robert said. "We just allow him to do whatever he wants and hope something will come up?"

"Do you have a better idea?" I said, bluntly. "Because I'm all ears. We know nothing about him."

Henry looked suspiciously at me. "Or maybe you do. This whole thing seems personal. That guy knows you somehow. He wouldn't keep calling you otherwise."

"I don't know him." I huffed. "I tried to remember the criminals we encountered in the past. I don't remember anyone with that alias. Also, we don't know who killed the caretaker yet. Until the forensics have something on that, we got nothing."

Robert shook his head, pissed. "I want to kill him for blowing up my car."

Everyone was worried. Rightfully frustrated. We had no leads. All we could do was wait for the Trickster to make a move. I, most of all, hated it when I couldn't do anything. I despised having no control over a situation.

Martin threw his office door open, his tie over one shoulder, and shoved an intern aside as he hurried towards us.

"We need to go," he snapped. "That maniac's going to blow up a school bus."

There was only one maniac that came to mind.

"Where?" I asked.

"Roeside Elementary," he blurted. "We have to go get there ASAP. Someone called 911, threatening to set a bomb off at that school." He glanced at Louis. "You're coming. You're the bomb expert."