Chapter 《07》

Contrary to popular belief, Veronica Sterling was not heartless.

In fact, she cared very deeply about people. It was that very trait that had gotten her into so much trouble in the past. It was that very trait that she had to fight more than any other to make sure she never repeated the mistakes of her past.

To make sure she'd never have the blood of someone else she loved on her hands.

No. Veronica Sterling wasn't heartless. She didn't enjoy pushing away the people she loved. But it was necessary. She had to do it. Had to lock away her emotions and pretend like none of it could touch her. That's the only way she knew how to keep herself in check.

When she'd first arrived at the Natural's house, she'd seen the hatred with which Cassie had looked at her. She couldn't exactly blame her. When she'd first arrived at their house it had been exactly her plan to shut down the program. Her ex-husband was ambitious, he was driven. He would do anything to catch a killer and he didn't have qualms about using teenagers to do so. But Veronica wasn't like that, not anymore. Maybe once upon a time the Naturals program would have been her idea. Back when she and him had been very much the same. Back when she would have done anything and everything in her power to catch killers too.

But then they'd lost Scarlett.

They could have lost Felicity.

They should have lost Felicity.

The uncertainty behind why they hadn't had haunted Veronica every day since.

She was the profiler. She knew the Nightshade case inside and out. The man who'd killed Scarlett was brilliant and narcissistic, with a need to win and to one up all competitors. He'd tricked her and Briggs and then used that distraction to murder their best friend in the one place where she should've been safe like it was nothing. He'd proven that he was better than they were. It didn't make sense. He shouldn't have stopped killing. He shouldn't have left a witness. He should have killed Felicity.

That fact that he hadn't left Veronica on edge. Waiting. And with the case long cold, every lead run into the ground, there was nothing she could do but sit and just wait for Nightshade to try and kill her daughter too.

She wouldn't let him kill her daughter too.

She wouldn't.

That's why it didn't matter that she'd been the one to call Felicity's court marshal. She couldn't let it matter. No matter how much doing so had shredded every fiber of her being. No matter how much she'd hated herself for it. No matter how much she knew Felicity would hate her for it. Rules were there for a reason. Rules kept people safe. Rules kept people alive. She hadn't done anything other than follow protocol.

She'd done exactly what she'd needed to, to protect Felicity.

And yes, Felicity's reaction hurt. Being separated from her daughter hurt. The fear that the screaming match she'd just had with Felicity would be the last interaction she'd have with her for another who knows how many years, hurt. But she could live with it if it meant Felicity was safe. She could live with it if it meant Felicity would live to see her twenties.

Evidently Briggs didn't see it that way. The second Felicity had left the room, her ex-husband turned on her. "You called her court marshal?"

Veronica shut her eyes, massaging her temple with her hand to try and subdue the headache she could feel coming on. The fight she'd just had with Felicity had frayed her temper and sapped all her energy. She didn't want to have the same argument with him too.