Chapter 7

I stood at the edge of the village square, Adjusting the strap of my satchel. I scanned around, looking for Elara and Kaigara. S'uu said they were supposed to meet us here to bid us farewell before I set off for Marcmarsh Swamp and Lovni Meadow.

"Is it weird that even though I know I'm probably going to die... I'm kinda excited?", I thought to myself before looking up at S'uu, "It's most definitely because S'uu is here." S'uu just brings a sense of safety

Suddenly though, a chill falls down my spine. On instinct, I turned to look behind me and just then I spotted Elara and Kaigara approaching us. Elara seems to have something wrapped in cloth in her hands. S'uu noticed them too and nodded in their direction.

"Are you ready Winston?" Elara asked, her voice calm but I could tell she was worried.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I replied, trying to mask the anxiety in my voice as it shook.

Kaigara stepped forward, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Remember, stay alert and trust your instincts. You'll come back in one piece."

"Heh... I hope", I muttered, taking in Kaigara's words as he retracted his hand.

Elara approached closer, her eyes fixed on mine after she took a deep breath. "We've already put most of the stuff you need in your bag... But...," she said, handing me the cloth-wrapped bundle. "I wanted to give you this in person. It's a charm to protect against the swamp's toxins. Keep it close."

I took the bundle, feeling its weight in my hands. "Thank you, Elara," I said sincerely, grateful for their support.

I decided to unwrap the cloth. Doing so reveals a necklace with a silver chain and a blueish-green, polished gemstone charm in a silver holder. Gently and cautiously, I place the necklace around my neck. Surprisingly it fit over my head.

"Thank you," I repeated, my fingers lingering on the cool stone.

S'uu gave me a reassuring nod, "Let's move out. The sooner we leave, the better our chances."

As we turned to go, Elara called out, "May the spirits guide and protect you!" Her voice was strong, but I could see the worry etched on her face.

I offered a small smile, trying to project confidence I wasn't sure I felt. "I'll be back before you know it!"

With no more than an empty promise, we started down the path leading away from the village. As we walked, the sounds of the village faded, replaced by the quiet rustle of leaves and grass. S'uu led the way confidently, while I tried to match their pace, my mind racing with thoughts, "Oh, I'm so going to die! What did I think? I'm never going to make it back to Kelcy and Eveie...",

"I know you're anxious," S'uu said after a while, not looking back at me. "But remember, you're not alone in this."

Their words were a comfort, but I couldn't shake the knot of fear in my stomach. "Not for long... You have to stay near the village..."

S'uu glanced back at me, a small smile playing on their lips. "You have more strength than you realize. Trust in that."

We continued in silence, each step taking us further from the village. I tightened my grip on the straps of my satchel, while the charm rested around my neck.

We walked for what felt like hours. The path ahead was overgrown and uneven, but S'uu navigated it with ease, their presence a constant source of reassurance. As the sun climbed higher, casting dappled light through the canopy above, the air grew thick with the scent of earth and wildflowers.

Gradually, the path became narrower, forcing us to walk single file. I could feel the weight of the straps of my backpack on my shoulder and the... "steady" rhythm of my own breath. Every so often, I glanced at S'uu, they seem so calm even though they know of the creatures out here.